Post Function to transition Issue linked using "Parent Link" based on the Transition of an issue typ

Devi karthikeyan August 25, 2020

Hi, I have the following hierarchy defined,

Initiative -> Feature -> Epic -> All other Standard Issue Types -> All Sub-Task issue types

I am implementing post function to get higher hierarchy to transition based on the Lower hierarchy issues transition.

I managed to get it going smooth till Epic Level where the default linking is applied.

From Epic to Initiative we use "Parent Link" field from Portfolio Plugin to get the linking done.

Now, I need your help to get the Transition of Initiative based on the Transition of Feature and Transition of Feature based on the Transition of Epic.

Please provide help based on the available default option or based on the JSU, If possible help with Script runner script to implement this.

I know i am expecting too much from you guys but i am helpless without you people.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2020

Hello @Devi karthikeyan ,

Natively there is not a way to do this, however there is an option using Automation for Jira , with a note for anyone on the Jira cloud platform that finds this thread this will currently only work on the Server platform as the needed JQL functions are not avaliable in Jira Cloud at this time, please vote for the following Request if you are on the Jira Cloud platform and you would like to be able to implement this process with Automation rules:

To set this up there are a few layers in the JQL filter, please refer to the following documentation as a referance point for the following filter:

In my Example I am using the following configuration, this my be different for you, noting i Set up  a dedicated project for the initiatives as covered in "Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels" for a multi project configuration:

• Two Projects configured
    • One for Epic and standard issue types, Issue Key ASDF
    • One for dedicated initiative issue types, Issue Key INIT
  • Global Automation Rule
    • Set to the two affected projects
    • Will automatically Transition the initiative from To Do to Inprogress if a child Epic is set to in progress
    • The Branch Rule uses a Smart Value to look up the current issue and identify the Parent Initiative 

The filter can be set up to isolate the rule to Only issues in a single Plan OR to any issue in the project using one of the following Filters

Plan 1 Only:

"Parent Link" in issuesInPlan(1) AND issuetype = Epic

Any Plan affecting the issues incase the issues are split across multiple plans:

issuetype = Epic

Create a Global Automation Rule with:

• Trigger
    • When: Issue Transitioned
      • From ToDo
      • To In Progress
  • Condition:
    • If: Issue Matches JQL
      • Either JQL noted Above 
  • Branch Rule
    • For JQL:
      • issue in
      • parentissuesof("{{issue.key}}")
    • THEN: Transition Issue To
      • Copy From Trigger Issue

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 2.42.15 PM.png

Using this automation, any time an Epic In project ASDF is transitioned to In Progress it will trigger the parent initiative to also be transitioned to the in Progress status.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Earl

Michael June 11, 2021

Is there a way to accomplish this without Script Runner? 

I am using Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio) and have set up an Initiative issue type with this structure Initiative -> Epic -> All other Standard Issue Types -> All Sub-Task issue types. Epics will be set with a 'Parent Link' to the initiative. I have been unable to figure out how to update the Inititiative using Jira Automation.

Michael June 14, 2021

I just realized this is for server and not cloud. I got this working on cloud without an add-on. If you're interested in my solution, check out this post.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Abdelwahed Samri August 23, 2021

Hello @Michael 

Thanks for that. Do you have any idea on how to implement the following : 

- When the Feature is transitioned to Done 

- Then transition all child epics to Done as well 

Thanks, 

Michael August 23, 2021

@Abdelwahed Samri is Feature an issue type? If you look at my example, the structure is Initiative -> Epic -> etc. this is the only way that I know of that allows you to have epics as children under an issue type.

Abdelwahed Samri August 23, 2021
Let's stick to your example where the hierarchy is : Initiative -> Epic -> etc 
Is it possible to transition all epics to DONE when the Initiative is transitioned to DONE ? 

Suggest an answer