Possible to search inside a Jira attachment?

Colum McAndrew August 11, 2021

I'm wondering if it is possible to find tickets with attachments containing a specific text string. It doesn't look possible, but wanted to get that confirmed. It seems you can only use JQL to find tickets with attachments.

3 answers

3 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2021

Hi @Colum McAndrew ,

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can simply search:

attachmentContent ~ "my text"

Make sure to check the documentation.

I hope this helps!

Danie

Scott R April 6, 2023

In 2023 pricing, for a 2000 user company that would cost USD$ 11,856 / yr to do an occasional text lookup - that is not going to get a paid stamp from an C-level manager !

Like Mario Hernandez likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2021

JQL does not support searching contents of attachments. JQL is simply a query language for DB fields.

Colum McAndrew August 13, 2021

Thanks for confirming Jack.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2021

Hi @Colum McAndrew

seeing the perfect answer from Jack I just wanted to add that there is a Suggestion with Atlassian that you could vote for, this could lead to an implementation of the mentioned feature in case many customers do want to have it.
Currently one can recognize '99' votes.

There is also the mention of an Apps - just adding this in case you want to review it. I must admit that I have not tested it and therefore only can excerpt what can be seen on the linked Suggestion.

Regards,
Daniel

Colum McAndrew August 16, 2021

Thanks @Daniel Ebers. I'm more than happy to round it up to three figures.

Colum McAndrew August 24, 2021

Many thanks Daniel.

Suggest an answer