Possible to give permissions to create company managed projects

Jose Medina October 26, 2021

Is it possible to give a group of users permissions to create a company managed project? We want to provide this functionality to project leads but without giving them full admin rights. 

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2021

Unfortunately, no.

For Company-Managed Projects (CMPs), the Administer Projects priv in a Permission Scheme will grant site-wide abilities to manage most or all of the configuration for CMPs.

The reason for this is because much of CMP configuration is shared among those projects. If an admin can only see a subset, they are likely to make a change for the one team they can see, while breaking things for other teams they can't see.

However, note that by judicious use of Roles in conjunction with Permission Schemes, you can limit day-to-day visibility of Admins from certain projects.

For example, we use a Role-based permission scheme for all our projects. Since I'm excluded from having a role in some of those projects (related to HR, accounting, etc), the content of those projects aren't accessible in my everyday use of Jira.

As an admin I can always go in and change my permissions, so it is a risk. I don't do that because I see it as an abuse of my awesome powers.

However, I can still see the configuration of those projects, and keep them in mind as I'm adjusting the interconnected webs of configuration that underly CMPs in Jira.

Hope that helps!

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2021

Hi Jose - Only Jira Administrators can create Company-managed projects. 

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2021

That is not possible with native Jira functionality.

There is an app called Delegated Project Creator that might work for you. I used it on Jira Server in the past, and I see it is now supported for Jira Cloud.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira

0 votes
Eric W August 15, 2023

As a new admin to Atlassian this is the exact kind of thing that makes me want to discontinue my companies use of Jira as fast as possible.

Who at Atlassian thinks that all of my project managers should be full admins of Jira? My project managers create new projects almost weekly. They lack the technical skills required to do anything more then create projects and mange the content within.

Jira is clearly a house of cards. There is no design to this tool. How it functions as well as it does for the users blows my mind. Its all that the cost of administration of the tool.  I cant decide if this or the fact there are no permissions APIs is worse. 

I truly hate owning this tool, so does every member of my team, so does the consultants we hired to do the things we can't. Sure the users love it, all the burden is on the admins. I am not the kind of admin to grant dozens of project managers a full product admin role. Gross...

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2023

It sounds like the app called Delegated Project Creator that might work for you. I used it on Jira Server in the past, and I see it is now supported for Jira Cloud.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira

That allows you to create templates of Schemes for Company Managed projects and delegate to non-admins the ability to create projects using those templates.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events