Possible Configuration of Dependency report

a.nilssonladner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 16, 2021

Hello, I would like to know more about the Dependency report as part of Advanced Roadmaps.

I like the clarity of the visualization but would like to change how the report is built.

Instead of the links showing dependencies (e.g. "depends on" or "blocks" links), I would want them to show parent links between issues.

Hence, you can see the issue hierarchy flow from left to right i.e. how an initiative breaks down to capabilities and the stories in each capability, in the same, clear visual style.

Is it possible to configure the dependency report locally to change how it is built?

Kind regards,

Alessandra Nilsson-Ladner

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2021

Hi @a.nilssonladner ,

At the moment this isn't possible and isn't something that we're planning on adding. I'd love to know more about why you'd like to see the visualisation of hierarchy like this though?

My assumption is that it gives you a good overview of the hierarchy of work in an umbrella or family history style view? Is this because it would allow you to see more issues in the available space?

I'm interested to know how many hierarchy levels you typically use and if you'd want to filter the report down to show all the work descending from a single high level work item?

Really keen to understand the use case here so any additional info you can share would be very helpful!

Regards,

Dave

0 votes
a.nilssonladner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 31, 2021

Hi Dave,

Yes to all of the above - overview for discussion, more issues viewed in the available space (minimal scrolling or clicking through)

Particularly interested in Initiative > Capability > Story breakdown.

To see quickly and clearly the number of stories in a capability for example, and if you could show their respective size and owners, you could gain an understanding of what is required to deliver that capability.

Or, you are questioning how to break down the work into stories in the first place and need to have an overview to see if it makes sense.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Alessandra

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

Thanks for explaining those use cases @a.nilssonladner  - that's much appreciated! That does make sense. Although obviously not as visual, I'm wondering how much of that you could achieve through the progress fields (both the estimate and count variants) which will show the number of issues as well as the number that are not estimated. Unfortunately you have to hover over the progress bar to trigger the flyout to see that information. 

I'm just wondering if there are other ways in which this could be achieved rather than through the dependency report visualisation style - I'd be concerned that it might not scale very well?

Regards,
Dave

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events