Ports are in use on my server

KC February 14, 2019

To whom it may concern,

We have an offline server that we are trying to download Jira onto it. I have followed the directions to the point where it asks for the TCP Ports. I have set it to something else and left it as the directions have mentioned however, when I run Netstat on my server it says that the ports are in use. Now when I changed it (reinstalled Jira about 4 times yesterday) it still does not connect to localhost at all. I cannot access LocalHost and this is a server that is not connected to the internet so that is not an option. I am manually doing everything and it is taking awhile for me to get this going. Can anyone give me support?
Is this because I am connected to the offline server using a certain IP address that it is kicking me off or fighting over control? 

I have looked at over 50 articles and have tried pretty much everything. Next is that I am going to GitHub to see if I can manually install a Docker that will help me with Jira. 

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

Check this article to see what is running on the ports in question. If you have stuff running that shouldn't be, you can kill those processes.  You didn't mention which port you are trying to bind to, but keep in mind the concept of privileged and unprivileged ports. Anything 1024 and below can only be bound to by root, which means you will need to run Jira as root in order to bind to those ports. It is best practice to have Jira run as a dedicated unprivileged user and bind to a high port (1025 or higher.) By default, Jira will bind to the selected port on all network interfaces. Assuming you don't have firewall rules or selinux limiting things, you should be able to connect on the network interface that you ssh in to. Hopefully that will help get you unstuck.

Suggest an answer