Popup to fill required fields during transition

Tal Zamir March 21, 2023

We defined fields as required/mandatory for a certain transitions (for example, "Fix version" in required when moving a ticket to "Ready For QA").

So now when trying to make the transition w/o this field then the action failed. The field should be filled before the action.

Is there an option for a popup to open when doing so? (for example, when transitioning to "Ready For QA" the ticket will open in a new window allowing to fill "Fix version").

Remember seeing that option before but don't know how to custom it.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Hi @Tal Zamir , are you working in a company managed or team managed project? in a CMP project you can add a screen to your transition by creating this screen and editing the workflow and desired transitions.

Tal Zamir March 21, 2023

How can I know if I'm  working in a company managed or team managed project?

And how do I create a screen?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Bottom left corner will provide the project type.

if CMP, as an admin, you can create a screen under Administration > issue > screens. Here is a good reference for that - map-a-screen-to-a-workflow-transition-in-jira-company-managed-projects . Please note that you need to have proper Jira administration permissions in order to achieve this. If you were not able to access the administration area, please contact your organization admin to assist you. Again, this is for CMP projects.

Tal Zamir March 21, 2023

Got it.

Will the screens open according to the validation? (for example, fix version is empty), or in any case?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2023

There are two workflow properties to consider here:

• Conditions - used to prevent a transition from being attempted, e.g. only certain users, a field cannot be empty, etc
  • Validatiors - are checked on the backend of a transition, e.g. update a field during transition
Tal Zamir March 22, 2023

So which one should I use in order to validate an empty field during transition and if so, the screen will open to fill it?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Validator. A Condition does not provide a pop up screen option while the Validator does.

Tal Zamir March 23, 2023

Thanks Jack! it's working great!

But I noticed that the pop up shows only when I change the status using the drop down list, but not when I'm transitioning a task by dragging it to different column on the board.

Why is that?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

Hmmm, are you sure that when dragging from column A to column B that it is going thru the "validated" transition? Is it possible that you're dragging it from a status that is not tied to the transition where you added the validator? In other words, make sure that the from status, and to status are aligned with where you have the transition validated.

Tal Zamir April 18, 2023

Thank you very much. I think it works.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders