Populate Custom Field with Non-user sender email address

Jessica Golden September 17, 2020

I currently have a mail handler turned on to process incoming emails as new issues or comments. I need to capture the sender email address in a custom field ("Sender Email Address") if the sender is a non-user. ((I've read that others have done this, just not how they've done it.))

I am not an advanced scripter, but have some experience with Script Runner and would like to know how to write a listener script (or mail handler) to populate this custom field with the sender's email address upon receipt.

2 answers

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

We support this using In-mail Handler Pro if you map a Macro like @@SENDER_MAIL@@ to your custom field.

Jessica Golden December 1, 2020

I attempted this - however, when I use the trial version, I cannot add any mapping for the fields. The error is what I get below. I have updated the Parser and it sill will not let me add any mapping.  

If this function requires the full version, I cannot commit to purchase because I need this to work.

image.png

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2020

Hi Jessica,

You don't need a paid version for this to work. You can contact us for support at https://atlasauthority.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/1 and I can hop on a screen share to help you out.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2020

Hi @Jessica Golden 

My understanding of this for Jira (versus Jira Service Desk) is that when a mail handler consumes the message, you had the option to set it up to create a new user or to use a default user( documentation link) .  When a create user is disabled, the sender's email address is put in the text at the end of the description so they can be identified later.

After the issue is created, you could use automation rules to extract the sender's email from the description and put it into the custom field.

Best regards,
Bill

Jessica Golden November 25, 2020

Got that to work - sort of - certainly not as clean as I would like. 

What about being able to extract addresses from the CC line? Those don't show in the description of the issue at all

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2020

Hi, Jessica.  I believe that with the email handler options you can add the CC'd people as watchers to an issue.  Will that work for you?

__Bill

Jessica Golden November 25, 2020

Unfortunately not because they aren't users and will not become users.  I need them for a reply notification.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2020

Unfortunately, that seems to be correct.  I found a suggestion to add this feature to Jira server (and cloud).  It is several years old and with the pending sunset of server it may never be implemented.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1855

Suggest an answer