• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Populate Custom Field with Non-user sender email address Edited

I currently have a mail handler turned on to process incoming emails as new issues or comments. I need to capture the sender email address in a custom field ("Sender Email Address") if the sender is a non-user. ((I've read that others have done this, just not how they've done it.))

I am not an advanced scripter, but have some experience with Script Runner and would like to know how to write a listener script (or mail handler) to populate this custom field with the sender's email address upon receipt.

2 answers

Hi @Jessica Hamernik 

My understanding of this for Jira (versus Jira Service Desk) is that when a mail handler consumes the message, you had the option to set it up to create a new user or to use a default user( documentation link) .  When a create user is disabled, the sender's email address is put in the text at the end of the description so they can be identified later.

After the issue is created, you could use automation rules to extract the sender's email from the description and put it into the custom field.

Best regards,
Bill

Got that to work - sort of - certainly not as clean as I would like. 

What about being able to extract addresses from the CC line? Those don't show in the description of the issue at all

Hi, Jessica.  I believe that with the email handler options you can add the CC'd people as watchers to an issue.  Will that work for you?

__Bill

Unfortunately not because they aren't users and will not become users.  I need them for a reply notification.

Unfortunately, that seems to be correct.  I found a suggestion to add this feature to Jira server (and cloud).  It is several years old and with the pending sunset of server it may never be implemented.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1855

We support this using In-mail Handler Pro if you map a Macro like @@SENDER_MAIL@@ to your custom field.

I attempted this - however, when I use the trial version, I cannot add any mapping for the fields. The error is what I get below. I have updated the Parser and it sill will not let me add any mapping.  

If this function requires the full version, I cannot commit to purchase because I need this to work.

image.png

Hi Jessica,

You don't need a paid version for this to work. You can contact us for support at https://atlasauthority.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/1 and I can hop on a screen share to help you out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,193 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you