Permissions

Noa Tsruya February 14, 2024

Hi

Can I block users from editing a specific issue type (user story) after the status is done?

Only a Jira administrator can do this.

6 answers

0 votes
Noa Tsruya June 17, 2024

Hi

I edited the permission as you mention here, and people who are not Jira admin still can edit the issue,

Its take a time? 

image.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2024

You've used a key for "user" and then named a group as the target.  That won't work because groups are not users.

0 votes
Noa Tsruya February 20, 2024

I try to do your step for blocking the user story after done status but it is not working..

image.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can only do this in Company-managed projects at present.  To do it:

• Create (or copy) the workflow you want the issue type to be using.
  • Go into the workflow scheme, and associate the new workflow with the issue type you want to block edits on
  • Edit the new workflow and place the "do not edit" workflow property (jira. issue. editable = false) on the "done" status.
0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

Hello @Noa Tsruya 

For a specific issue type, sadly there isn't. On the other hand, for blocking the users after the status is done, you can use workflow properties, more specifically: jira.permission.edit.denied

Steps:

1. Create a group of users that you don't want to be able to edit 
  2. For transitions that are leading to Done status you need to add the property mentioned from above
  3. For value you would add the groupId with the ID of your group:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.28.47.png

4. As an example you would have:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.29.32.png This will permit the users of this group to do any editing when the transition to done is being made (since automation doesn't have suitable components for blocking after the status is in done).

0 votes
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

Hi @Noa Tsruya 

Yes you can.

Make sure the issue type has it's own workflow, so not shared with other issue types. Otherwise all are impacted.

Edit the workflow and select the "Done" status, select the properties option.

As key add jira.permission.edit.user and as value add jira-administrators (or the name of your group)

Also see documentation here:

Noa Tsruya February 14, 2024

Thanks I will try do that.

And I want also that all the issues which are linked to the user story will block too.

For example-

If the user story in done status, the user can not edit the status of the test that is linked to the user story..

Is it possible?

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2024

No this can't be done as it relates to the workflow and the properties set on a workflow status.

This doesn't impact linked issues or even other stories that are not in the "Done" state

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

I try to do your step for blocking the user story after done status but it is not working..

image.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2024

Hi @Noa Tsruya

Is this the name of the group in Atlassian administration?

I think You need to set the property key as: jira.permission.edit.group

yes, I created a new group -

image.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2024

See second comment from my previous post.

You need to set the property key as: jira.permission.edit.group

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events