We are currently on Jira Server and one of our biggest struggles is that only admins can create projects. We have multiple departments using Jira. We've had to create separate instances so they can create their own projects and not see projects from other departments. Due to the end of support for server, we are looking at Data Center and Cloud. We would like some clarification about creating projects in Jira Cloud and Jira Data Center
1. Are Team-managed and Company-managed projects only available in Cloud? Would current Jira users lose a lot of functionality if we moved them to team-managed projects?
2. Are Advanced roadmaps only available in Cloud?
3. If we created a set of project templates, would non-admin users be able to create projects from those templates?
1. Yes, Team Managed projects are available only in Jira Cloud. Company Managed are also available in Jira Cloud. The functionality of Team Managed and Company Managed projects is similar but different. Team Managed projects are intended to be stand-alone and managed by the Project Administrators. Project Admins can create some types of custom fields, manage access and notifications, and make some customizations to workflows, and those changes affect only the one project. The customization options are not as full-featured as for Company Managed projects. For more information refer to
2. Advanced Roadmaps is available in the Premium subscription for Jira Cloud, but not the Standard subscription. It is also available in the Data Center product.
3. You can't create "project templates" in Jira Cloud. For Company Managed projects you can select the Share Settings options during creation of the project to share the settings of an existing project, which is the same functionality available in Jira Server/Data Center. The creation of Company Managed projects is still only available to Jira Admins.
You might want to look at this third party app for expanding who can create Company Managed projects, and using project templates for request creation of projects. This app exists for both Cloud and Data Center.