People VS Permissions in Company Managed Project

Bernard Van Heuverswyn April 17, 2023

Hi All,

For a Company Managed Project, you can define a set of Permissions based on Groups, Roles, etc. It seems to me that you can almost manage all access security from this setting. However, in Project Settings there is also a "People" item (left column).

In my tests, if I create a project with limited access (for example an HR project), I can manage it well with Permissions.
But if I click on People, in Project Settings, I see ALL the roles that I have created in Jira, including the roles of standard users who do not have access to this HR project.

What is the difference between "Permissions" and "People "security in Projects settings (company managed projects)?

Thanks 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
W_L April 18, 2023

Hi @Bernard Van Heuverswyn

In the permissions tab, you'll see the 'Permission Scheme' that is associated to the project.
The permission scheme is a mapping of all individual project permission to users, groups or project roles. One permission scheme might be used in multiple projects, so that's why those permission are not mapped directly inside the project.

The peoples tab displays the mapping of users/groups to project roles.

Only if you use a specific project role in the permission scheme does it mean something within the context of the project if a user is assigned to that project role.

Project admins can only assign user to project roles, not user groups. That's because project role assignment is project specific while user groups are global.

Therefore Jira recommends to use mostly project roles in permission schemes so that project admins have the flexibility to grant project permission themselves.

I hope that helps, please check the official documentation for more infos

0 votes
Bernard Van Heuverswyn April 18, 2023

Thanks for this answer. Yes, I have already set up these Roles, groups, permission schemes.. and it seems to work fine. But in the "Project Settings", the point "People" seems to be redundant to me.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

The People tab is the place where project admins assign people and/or groups to roles for that project, in contrast to the global default roles set at the system admin level.

Like Bernard Van Heuverswyn likes this
Bernard Van Heuverswyn April 25, 2023

Ok, super. Thanks for your help 

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS