BenWade November 15, 2023

Hi everyone,

Currently, I have this hierarchy:

-Theme
--Initiative
---Epic
----Story
-----Subtask

I want parent issues to inherit the latest due date of their child issues.

A story should inherit from a subtask, an epic from a story, an initiative from an epic, and a theme from an initiative.

For instance, if a story has 10 subtasks with due dates, then the story should inherit the latest due date of the subtask and this should be applied for all levels. How can I achieve this?

If it is possible to set up automation for that, please share the automation flow.

Thank you in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2023

Hello @BenWade 

You can accomplish that with this rule. In my example I an using the Start Date field, and setting the value to be the earliest value among the child issues.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 9.46.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 9.48.22 AM.png

To set it to the latest value you would use "max" instead of "min".

You also need to make sure that you have this box checked on the Rule Details page:

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 9.49.39 AM.png

Additionally, if at any level an issue can have children in a different project, then you have to make the rule a multiple project scoped rule and include in the project scope all the projects where child issues might exist. Multiple Project scoped rules can be created only by Jira Administrators from the Global Automations page.

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2023

Hello, @BenWade.

Check out this post:

They are talking about different fields, but I suspect the same logic might apply to your use case.

Hope it helps,

-dave

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2023

Hi @BenWade 

Adding on to Dave's suggestions...

This is a lot of issue type levels to roll-up, and so I recommend defining your assumptions before writing any automation rules for this.  That will help to identify test cases and limitations to the solution.

For example:

• Have you discussed this need / scenario with your Jira site admin?
  • Is this for your entire Jira site or only for one specific project?
  • Are Due Date values only set at the subtask level?  If so, how will that be enforced?
  • What should be done if a Due Date is changed manually by a user at any level, other than the lowest one?
  • What happens when issues are added to an existing parent: ignore that, adjust the dates, etc.?
  • What do you want to do when issues are deleted?  Moved?
  • How accurate does this need to be, as that will determine both how many rules are needed and the impact upon your automation rule usage?
    • It may take dozens of rules: 3 for field update (due to the levels), 3 for issue create, 3 for issue delete, 3 for issue move, x2 for manual changes, etc.
    • These rule updates will use lots of automation executions.  What is your licensing level for Jira as the limits have recently changed?  Please look here to learn more: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/cloud-automation-packaging-update

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
BenWade November 15, 2023

Great point, Bill.

you raised super relevant questions. I think it would be better to forget about this automation. This will overcomplicate everything. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2023

You could also consider limiting the scope, such as only use the Due Date at some levels.  That would reduce the complexity and may still provide you the benefits you want.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer