Parent / child in JIRA

Jozef Vandenmooter September 15, 2017

I created an issue type "Change Request" that is the parent of the "Development Task" issues that implement it, the "Defect"  issues that are related to it., the "Deployment Task"  issues that deploy it etc.  (those are all full-blown issue types, not Sub-tasks).

I am using links, but all the links appear in the same field. I don't think it's possible to have these different issue type links appear in separate fields?

Also, what is the best way to report on this? Is there a plugin that creates a table that neatly lists a parent issue and all its linked (child) issues?

Thanks,

Jozef  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2017

Hi Jozef,

A first thing that might help, is the link Type that describes the type of relation. You could use e.g. different link types to make a distinction (e.g. "is parent of" vs "implements" vs "blocks" etc.).

Scriptrunner (Adaptavist) is an app (previously known as add-on) with a lot of powerful JQL functions for searching linked issues.

If you are really interested in the hierarchy, you might definitely want to look into Portfolio for Jira (Atlassian) or Structure (ALM Works).

Suggest an answer