Parent Project JIRA ROADMAP - Can it show linked Epics, Stories, Tasks from a DIFFERENT PROJECT

K. Yvonne Lucas May 20, 2021

QUESTIONCan the Jira Classic Roadmap Show Linked Child Tickets for Another Project?

We have JIRA CLASSIC ROADMAP and would like to see, on the Jira Roadmap, the EPICS, STORIES, and TASKS from our parent project -- and also -- the epics, stories, and tasks from other projects for which we have created the parent/child links.

At present, our JIRA Roadmap appears to ONLY show those from our parent project.

Thank you for the help.

~K

1 answer

3 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @K. Yvonne Lucas,

No it can't. The classic roadmap is designed to show issue from a single project only, as you can clearly see from this experiment:

Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 19.32.46.pngIf you want a roadmap across multiple projects, advanced roadmaps from the premium plan could be the answer.

Hope this helps! 

@Walter Buggenhout  - thanks so much for that answer.  Have you heard of any add ons, scripts, or work around that might show it?  Like the GanttPro tool?

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hey @K. Yvonne Lucas,

There are tons of apps out there for project planning, roadmapping, ... They come in different flavours and each has its own characteristics that make it stand out in some way or the other.

Have a look at this list to get you started. 

@Walter Buggenhout  - thanks so much.  We have looked through most, but it seems that unless the Jira Classic Roadmap can ingest and associate multiple projects, they cannot render the relationship between the parent/child-linked items.

Did you find one that would do this?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

As I mentioned in my first reply, @K. Yvonne Lucas, the obvious choice is the built-in advanced roadmap from the premium plan.

For more information, see this introductory post.  

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 21, 2021

Hi @K. Yvonne Lucas

Perhaps you should consider BigPicture/BigGantt. One Box may contain any defined collection of tasks based on a combination of multiple Jira projects, Jira boards, or Jira filters. That allows you to create not only fully adjusted (to your business needs) scope but also create relations between tasks from different projects.

Like K. Yvonne Lucas likes this
K. Yvonne Lucas May 21, 2021

@Anna-BigPicture  thanks so much.  I'll look at those.

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 21, 2021

@K. Yvonne Lucas if you have more detailed questions, just tag me :) I will gladly answer. 

K. Yvonne Lucas May 25, 2021

@Anna-BigPicture 

I am still having a bit of an issue.  The Roadmap is supposed to show the child stories of its epics.  For some this does and for others it does not.  I have added/removed/re-added the parent to child relationships.  I have moved it to in-process in the workflow.  I have added start and end dates.  Nothing is working.  

I also cannot see the Board Settings > General (upper right) to check the Filter Query.  ((advice from the Atlassian Community post 04/15/21)

Any ideas?

Suggest an answer