Parallel sprints

Karen Thomas November 7, 2019

I am using Jira Cloud classic and am running into a weird issue with my scrum boards. I have parallel boards set up but when I open up the backlog for each separate board I see some of the sprints renamed from the other board.  I have gone in and changed the story to the correct sprint but then it corrupts again.  I have configured the board columns to share one status, final status for dev and start for qa. I tried removing that status from the qa column but it didn't fix it. Do I need to use a filter instead or in addition? 

QA sprint Jira issue.PNGJira Dev Sprint.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2019

The sprints are shown for two reason:

a) There is an issue in  the board that belongs to that sprint. (That's the case with NGOS 2 DEV Sprint 4 - you have 17 issues shown there.  NGOS 2 DEV Sprint 4 - you have 10 issues that match your board filter.

You should be remove those 27 issues  from those sprints, or change the component so they don't appear in board QA)

b) You create them in  that board originally (if the sprint says 0 issues). It doesn't appear to be the case form your image.

Let me know how it goes.

0 votes

Nothing to see  here... (can't delete and thought my Reply above didn't take)

0 votes
Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2019

If I'm understanding correctly your problem..

if you see a sprint from another project or board, it means that this sprint contains issues that match your board's filter. 

You can be verified by looking at the contents of the "wrong" sprint(s). Doing a JQL for your board in the navigation   issues. This will show you all issues associated with the board. From there, look at why those issues match your board.

A reccommendation to how to avoid that mistake in the future, use component to separete the issues in their respective board.

ComponentA ->- board A : Filter  : Project = XX and component = ComponentA

ComponentB ->- board B : Filter  : Project = XX and component = ComponentB

I hope it helps. 

Thanks for the help. I created the components and changed the filter.  I'm still running into the issue. Here's my JQLs

QA Board: project = NGOCTP AND status in ("In QA", Issues, "Ready to Demo") AND component = "QA Work" ORDER BY Rank ASC

project = NGOCTP AND status in ("Aw Dev Rel", "Aw QA Rel", Backlog, "In Dev", "In Progress", "Selected for Development") AND component = "Dev Work" ORDER BY Rank ASC

The 2 boards are under the same project. What appears to be happening is that in the QA board backlog the sprints are merged with dev sprint and renamed even though the component is QA Work and not Dev Work  Screenshot shows the component and sprint in the story. It's assigned a dev sprint, not qa sprint. And I can't see the change in the history, which is the second screenshot.  It doesn't show on the Dev board but does show on the QA board but as a dev sprint.  I'm going in circles with this so any help appreciated!

Suggest an answer