Pan/prepare my "delivery packages".

Dionei Piazza March 23, 2021

Hi Jira community!

I want through Jira to plan/prepare my "delivery packages".

These packages are agreements that the team makes to understand what are the features that we will include in the next release. It is not a sprint backlog because we operate with a continuous flow/delivery (pulled system).

I realized that some colleagues do this through a release. That is, they understand what the next package is and all issues receive the same release name.

The question is: As we do not know in advance what the exact version name will be, would it be a good practice to name a version of, for example "Next-package release", and in the future, adjust this name (to the real name, for example 2021-04-15) before the release?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2021

That is exactly what we do.

We create a release named something like "Next Release". As code makes it through the CI cycle we have the developers set the JIRA issue Fix Version to "Next Release". Then when we are ready to deploy the accumulated fixes we change the release name from "Next Release" to the version number we have decided to apply to the package, and then we create another Release entity named "Next Release".

In that manner, everything that was set to Fix Version="Next Release" automatically shows the new name of that release when we update the Release Name. And for the developers they don't have to worry about what the next release's actual version number is; they know the process is always to simply set the Fix Version to "Next Release"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events