Order Issues in Planning board Priority

Hi There

I can I order issues in the planning board by priority

Below is a example of our backlog. It's very time consuming planning the next sprint as we'd oviously like to get higher priority issues done first.

It would be easier if I could order the tickets by priority then drag them the next sprint.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

The default ordering is based on RANK. You can modify the filter query to sort based on "Priority" but then the ranking feature will be disabled. It will be one or the other!

Did this change during the past 2 years? It seems pretty stupid to sort issues with the same / undefined rank "randomly", not by the priority.

totally agree. Why can't we sort by "priority DESC, Rank ASC". What's the point of priority if the "to do" column in the sprint board doesn't have the top priority stories at the top of the column?

+1

If I change to using priority, I'm not able to drag items up the page to drop them in the current sprint making it unusable.  You should be able to reset rank based off priority or allow me to drag an item at the bottom of a prioritized list to the active sprint.  An inline menu to add to sprint would work as well.  Or if the two lists were side by side so I could scroll one up. 

At this point I'm going to have to revert back to rank and whatever magic is determining the default for it.

Thanks Jobin

Here is how I applied it for anyone who wants to do it in the future, as it wasn't quite clear how to do it :)

In the Agile Screen

• Click Board -> Configure
  • Filter Tab -> Edit Filter Query
  • Switch to Advanced
  • Change filter query to something like
    "project = MyAwesomeProject ORDER BY priority DESC"

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

What I really want is multiple custom queries in the Backlog screen.

I tried this, and it did put the backlog in order by priority, but as soon as I scrolled far enough past the sprint into the backlog and I try to drag an item up the page does not move up and I can't change order to get it closer to the top.  Unless there is another way to add items from backlog to a sprint besides dragging them in, this makes the UI unusable.

Right-click the item.  List of sprints appears, among other options (like batch edit).  Choose sprint in the menu.  You're good.

Not as nice/fun as D&D, but it'll do.

My problem is I can't get this priority ordering to work at all. :(

This can also be achieved by creating Swimlanes (Configure -> Swimlanes).

Here is a sample list of Swimlanes that use jquery:

Name JQL

Blocker priority = Blocker
Critical priority = Critical
Major priority = Major
Normal priority = Normal
Minor priority = Minor
Trivial priority = Trivial

For further details see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Swimlanes for an example.

Hi @BarendB, Just a question, not related to this topic. 

How did you scramble those words in your picture above, I need to do that when I post some pics from JIRA. Is that any online tool ? Software ? Thanks!

Test https://www.screenpresso.com, it don't look funny like the one above, but is also able to anonymize.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,221 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you