Opening an attachment and it tries to open with a different file extension (xlsx vs xlsb)

Regina Galati March 24, 2021

We have an issue where a couple of users are having difficulty opening attachments in JIRA that are microsoft excel binary files (.xlsb).  When they click on the link to open/download it is asking them if they want to do either with a file with a .xlsx extension.  But when myself and several others also try, it has the correct file extension.  Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

Hello @Regina Galati,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site, I attached a .xlsb file to a ticket and then tested on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari and I was able to download the file normally. It was also possible to preview the file (on Firefox it took a little longer for the preview to work). 

I searched for bugs and similar cases but didn’t find anything that mentions issues with .xlsb files.

With this said, I would like to know what browser they are using and if they could try using incognito mode or disabling the browser extensions, just to make sure there is nothing else preventing it to work.

If possible, send us a screenshot of the message they are seeing when they try to download the file.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Regina Galati March 29, 2021

Hi Angelica

See attached screenshots.  The file is an .xlsb Microsoft Excel Binary file.  When my colleague and at least one other user try to open or download, they receive the message about .xlsx.  When I and others try to open, we receive the message about .xlsb

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).pngMicrosoftTeams-image.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Thank you for the screenshots, Regina.

I see that you and your team are using the old view, so I tested here using the old view and Firefox, but it downloads the .xlsb file correctly.

Since this is affecting only a few users, maybe there is some extension on their browser causing this.

Can you ask them to test using another browser or incognito mode?

Also, is it possible for them to test using the new issue view (Profile picture > Personal settings > Jira labs)? The old view will be removed soon, so it would be good to test to see if the same behavior will happen.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events