OpenJDK: Can I copy OpenJDK JRE From Confluence to Jira ?

LifeMap June 4, 2019

Linux self-hosted Confluence 6.13.4 using bundled JRE (OpenJDK).  Running on same server, Jira 7.6.3.  Planning to upgrade Jira to 7.13.3.

We'd like to switch Jira to OpenJDK.  7.13.3 will support OpenJDK, but still comes bundled with Oracle.

In test environment, we've upgraded Jira to 7.13.3 using the installer & all is well running with bundled Oracle JRE.

To switch Jira over to OpenJDK, can I simply shutdown & copy the JRE from the Confluence install on the same server?  In testing this appears to work without issue, but not sure if this is an "approved" approach.

Eg, something like:

sudo su -
cd /opt/atlassian/jira
mv jre jre-bundled
cp -R ../confluence/jre .

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
LifeMap June 4, 2019

The version is supported, that's not a concern -- https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Java-11-OpenJDK-support-update-for-Server-and-Data-Center/ba-p/967836#M392

I'm interested in whether the JRE installation method is acceptable.

The documentation I've seen indicates you can install <other JRE/JDK> at <anywhere else on the server> and update JAVA_HOME to point at it.  There's no mention of just replacing the bundled "jre" directory entirely.

I'm pretty sure this'll be OK, but it'd be nice to have someone else confirm it.

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2019

Jira is fine with any supported JDK or JRE.  Some 3rd party Apps may expect that you have JDK installed, though.  It's been a while since I have seen something that requires JDK, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2019

You can always check the Supported Platforms doc to see what is supported.

Pro tip: the easiest way to find these is to Google search for "jira 7.13 supported platforms" and include the major.minor version of the Atlassian tool you are searching for.

Suggest an answer