Only use existing Jira ids in the custom field.

siva September 21, 2022

Hello,

We use a Text type Single line custom field called 'Enter ID' in my Jira instance. So, users enter the jira ticket id here, which will be converted to a hyperlink after the ticket is created. So, if a user enters a non-existing jira id, the field accepts the value entered with no hyper link. Is it possible for the field to only accept existing Jira ids from the same project?

Note:  That we are using the scriptrunner plugin, which may be of assistance.

Please advise me on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Siva.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Is there a reason you are using a text field instead of a Issue Picker field?

siva September 21, 2022

@Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your response; we've been using this text field for the past four years, so instead of creating a new field, we made changes to an existing one.

However, using an Issue Picker field is a good idea. Could you please show me how to configure this Issue Picker field in script runner? Please assist me with this because I am new to scripting.

Thanks,

Siva.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Hello Siva,

It is simply another type of custom field. Your Jira Administrator can make a custom field of type Issue Picker and add it to the Field Configuration and Screens for the project.

This page provides information on creating custom fields.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/adding-custom-fields-1047552713.html

If Issue Picker is not an available field type, you would need to add a third party app to get it. Here are two such apps, there may be others.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214561/issue-picker-custom-field-type-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

I'd replace your field with issue links - they validate the issue exists at the other end and show information about it in the current issue. 

You don't need your issue picker type field, you're just making life complicated for yourself by (poorly) duplicating functionality that already exists.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

I would say the advisability of using links vs. an issue picker depends on the purpose of the information and how it needs to be used.

The OP did mention wanting to restrict the Jira keys to issues in the same project which is not possible with out of the box generic Issue Linking functionality.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Yes, and I think you're absolutely right about the "issue picker" being limited to the same project. 

But, is is a limitation.  Issue links are the best option in every case, except when your project owners want to limit you to link to certain things like the current project.

I do not think we can opine without knowing all the details of the process or needs.  My instinct is that most people who think they need an "issue picker" just have not understood that issue links do it better.

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

Hi Siva,

While it maybe possible and hopefully someone with more experience answers in that regard, depending how quickly your instance is growing this would add a lot of system performance impact. If everytime a field needs to query for existing issues, then everytime that field has new data being input it's also querying the whole database. As a jira instance grows the negative side affects of this will be more visible. Users will see slower boards, slower load times or creating issues, more timeouts etc. So even if it is possible you would need to do a  lot of performance impact to find when that speed hits Jira and would impact your users. It maybe sooner than you think from experience!

Best,
Clark

Suggest an answer