One Project multiple Boards Custom Columns

Vasilis Gennaris November 24, 2017

Hi all, 

I have a riddle I am trying to solve the last few hours. I have four projects and each one has one Scrum Board using simplified Workflow. I also have a fifth board that has four boards that are being fulfilled from the rest four projects with Backlog Items by using filters. On one of those I tried through board settings, without success, to add some extra columns on the workflow  (check the screenshot) but i couldn't add statuses so the columns weren't shown anywhere. Then I tried through general settings to create a new workflow and then i added to the project, but i couldn't find somewhere that i could  assign it to that certain board. Is there another way to do that?

Any help on that you be more than welcome.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 16.11.22.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2017

Boards, workflows and projects are all technically independent of each other, but are loosely indirectly related.  But they try to help you out by simplifying things when they can.

• A workflow is a process map that applies to issues in a project.
  • A project is a container for issues.
  • A board is a view of a set of issues.

A board is defined first by its filter, which says "show issues matching these criteria".  The next part of the definition is the list of columns, which collect together status.  There is no direct relationship between "status issues might be in" and "columns", so an unhelpful board would have to list *every* status in the system ready for you to drop into columns.  But, Jira tries to be helpful - it looks at your filter for a project clause, and if it can identify a rule like "the issues are all in projects ZYX, ABC and FOMO", then it will look at the config of those projects and say "ah, those three projects use those six workflows, which use those 11 status, so I'm only going to offer those 11"

So, check your board filter to see what projects it selects from (note, this also goes down to issue type!) and that should explain why you only get offered a few status to drag into the columns.

Vasilis Gennaris November 27, 2017

Thanks for your answer Nick! What i hadn't undestand is the fact that the projects that my board getting the issues through the filters are depended and defines also the statuses that my board can use.. Now its clear!

Suggest an answer