OKRS in advanced roadmaps

Kate M
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 23, 2023

How can you represent OKRs in advanced roadmaps?

I want to create a new issue type as an OKR thats above the Epic level that i can assign epics to. However new issue types seem to inherit story semantics making it impossible to assign an epic as a child. 

Anyone know how I can represent this hiarchy in advancd road maps, or any Jira app for that matter 
Yearly OKR > OKR > Epic > Story > Task 

4 answers

4 votes
Oleksii Marynych January 25, 2023

Hi @Kate M!

As OKR-obsessed people, we've worked on integrating OKR into the roadmap for quite some time.

We've come up with a solution in our OKR Board for Jira plugin: 

First, our app allows you to build the following structure within the Jira ecosystem and track the progress of your OKRs based on KR or Jira issue resolution status:

Oboard_scheme.png

This approach can help you to deal with the OKR hierarchy issue.

Second, we've implemented OKR Roadmap inside our OKR Board for Jira. It's a cross-project, so you can set all your OKRs from the Strategic Company level to the individual level, place them on a roadmap, and track/manage them conveniently.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 09.57.57.png

You also can customize OKR levels according to your company structure and build any hierarchy you need.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 13.22.21.png

Our OKR Board for Jira also allows you to break down yearly OKRs into contributing quarterly (or monthly) OKRs

I'll be happy to help, you can contact me any time or request a demo, and we'll show you how to implement the OKR framework in the Jira ecosystem quickly.

3 votes
Margo Sakova - OKR Board for Jira by Oboard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2024

Hi @Kate M 

It's typical behavior of the new issue types. You need to go to the "Issue type hierarchy" and move your OKR issue up in the hierarchy.

Objectives and Key Results in OKR hierarchy inside Jira Advanced Roadmaps

You can find more detailed instructions on setting up OKRs with Jira's Advanced Roadmaps and other methods in my recent Jira OKR guide.

Hope that helps!

2 votes
Oleksii Marynych January 25, 2023

Also, I've seen such a suggestion in a similar discussion. You may find it helpful.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/OKR-gt-Initiatives-Epics-Stories/qaq-p/2241179#M242445 

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2023

Hi Kate,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You set up the hierarchy if you go to Plans > Setting > Advanced Roadmaps hierarchy configuration. Note that the hierarchy applies to the whole instance, there is no way of setting it for just one project or have multiple different ones.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events