Numbers of approvals requsted based on custom field selected by the reporter

Luca Lo Casto March 5, 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm running into a problem creating a ticket.
When I create the ticket, it is moved to "Waiting for approvals". When creating the ticket, there is a custom field that must be selected, there are 3 variables:

-Variable A: the request must be approved by "X".

-Variable B: the request must be approved by "Y".

-Variable C: the ticket must be approved by both "X" and "Y". 

Logically, what is the best solution for you to handle this situation? Is there a way to do this in Jira?

Thanks and I hope I was clear,

Luca

2 answers

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

Hi Luca,

Our app https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211763/herzum-approval?hosting=server&tab=overview is able to meet your requirements.

Please, do not hesitate to concact us for any assistence to setup your configurations: https://chicago.herzum.com/jira/plugins/servlet/desk.

Best Regards,

Antonella

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2021

Hi @Luca Lo Casto, I see a few different ways you can achieve this. I assume you're referring to a Jira Service Management project where you can configure approvals. Is that the case? Will the tickets be created via the customer portal only? Besides the custom field to determine the approvers, is there any other behaviour or configuration you need due to the approvers' selection? Are you currently using an app to help you with customizations? The more details you provide, the better we can assist you here. When it comes to options, you can have different request types and set the default approvers for each one, modify the workflow to have different statuses to assign the approvers, automate the approvers' assignment thru scripting it, etc. It depends on the requirements that drove you to get to this solution.

Cheers,
IL.

Luca Lo Casto March 8, 2021

Hello Ivan, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes is that the case, but i'm not using any type of app.

We have many request type with approvals, some of them request just one approvals, and some of them needs more approvals.

If i go in the workflow and in the "Add approval" screen, and select "Consider approved after" - 1 it works in the case where i need just one approval, but when i need 2 approvals it obviously approve it even with just 1 approval, even if i edited the "Request type" approvers with 2 of them. 

It is like the condition is:

APPROVE IF (APPROVER 1) OR (APPROVER 2) ACCEPTS

instead of being

APPROVE IF (APPROVER 1) AND (APPROVER 2) ACCEPTS

I don't know if i'm clear but i appreciate your help.

Thanks,
L.

Luca Lo Casto March 8, 2021

Hello,
I add this information to the previous question.

During the creation of the request, there is a custom field that must be chosen (with 3 options), we need to see which option has been selected and automatically give the approval to the right person or to both of them (depending always on the selection).

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks!

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

Hi Luca, thanks for clarifying that. Unfortunately, the approval assignment you described based on custom field selection is not possible out of the box. In this case, you would need an app to help you achieve this. That's why I asked you which app you already have installed so that we could explore it.

To the second part of your question, my apologies if you already know that, but you have the option to select all approvers for the "Consider approved after" field, meaning all approvers will need to approve to transition when approved - which falls under your example approver1 AND approver2.

As your approval definition ties to your workflow and associated issue types, all related request types will follow the same rule. You can have different request types pointing to the same issue type with distinguishing default values. Thus, if you have fixed approvers, you can pre-set them as default values for each request type.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer