Number of licences

Info Apps April 5, 2018

Hello,

I have the 10 user licence and my development team has recently grown from 9 to 10.  Previously we've had to have an admin user taking up one of our 10 licenses - this is used as a backup admin user in case our Crown integration falls over.

Now that I have 10 developers, I'm wanting to take that 10th licence which I should be owed seeing that is what we are paying for.

Is there any chance you can extend my licencing to 11 users so we can have the 'admin' backup user account in case of emergencies?

Or is there a way around being locked out of Crowd falls over?  Consider we are self-hosted here...

Thanks, Richard

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Norton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2018

Hi Richard!

Unfortunately, we can't give you an eleven user license - but we can look at a few different options for making your user base work with the license you've got :)

Option One: Disable the Internal Directory

You can disable the internal directory from the database. It's not ideal (because in a disaster you'd have to stop Jira, update the cwd_directory table, and then restart).

Disable the directory with the following:

UPDATE cwd_directory SET active = 0 WHERE id = 1;

Enable the directory with this one:

UPDATE cwd_directory SET active = 1 WHERE id = 1;

As always, make sure you've got a backup of the database; and that Jira is shut down before you make changes to the DB :)

Honestly, this is the most fiddly approach; and it's not what we'd recommend - I'd only use this in emergencies.

Option Two: Ensure the Jira Administrator isn't licensed to use Applications

A user only counts to a license if they're a member of a group that has Application Access.

If you go to "Application Access" in Jira Administration; you should ensure that the jira-administrators group isn't included under Jira Software (or any other applications you might be using)

Next up, you should also ensure your Jira administrator doesn't have any group memberships that _are_ licensed.

Your Jira administrator will be able to log in, but they won't have access to any projects (and in Jira 7.8 at least) you even get a helpful message saying "Hey, you're an administrator - but you can't do any Jira things, only Administrator things".

This would be my recommendation to you - that way you've got your local admin user, but they don't contribute to a license count. 

Let us know how you go! If these don't work for you, let me know and I'll see what else we can do for you :)

Cheers,
Dave
Senior Support Engineer (Sydney)

Suggest an answer