Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Number field with large numbers

Is it possible to create a number field(scripted is also fine) which allows more than 12 digits in Jira

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paul O Rising Star Jan 30, 2021

For cloud, the number field behaves as follows:

1. The number field has a maximum value of 100000000000000. (1 + 14 zeros).  This is a value maximum, not a digits maximum.  Increment this value by one and you get a max error.

2. The number field displays 3 decimal places. In the example above you could have 10000000000000.234 (1 + 13 zeros + 3 decimal places)

The easiest way to extend these limits would be via an add-in.  For example, Custom Fields for Jira Cloud appears to have this functionality according to its documentation.

Is it the same for server also?

Paul O Rising Star Jan 30, 2021

Appears so!  Just checked it and I see the same error messages

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 13.49.44.png

1 vote
Answer accepted

seems there is a bug

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-60801

That means, it supports a maximum of 18 digits only, 12 before and 6 after the decimal point

0 votes

I do not understand these mathematical calculations. However, I think certain algorithms should be used in applications for this. I am studying them now. All the information I got from difference-between.net. Btw, my long-standing dream is to do programming. However, I don’t have any knowledge in this area. Do you think I can start doing it now? How long will it take me to do this? Is it possible to make money in this field over time? I hope you will reply to me as soon as possible.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

4,964 views 18 31
Read article

Atlassian Community Events