Not able to select custom field in the filter - Field is not applicable for current project/or issue

Prashant Sinha January 30, 2019

I am trying to use the advanced filter to filter my defects but I am not able to select few customized field as its showing red exclamation mark that 

All Issue

Click on More on the right panel

Search the custom field

Try to click the checkbox

I am not able to select few custom field checkbox and its saying the below issue with RED exclamation mark

"Field is not applicable for current project / or issue type" 

Can anyone help in providing the exact steps to resolve this

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2019

A field is "not applicable" when the context for the custom field does not place it on that project and issue type.

To make them applicable, go to Admin -> Issue -> Custom fields and go find the missing field.  You will see that in one of the columns towards the right, there is a context that specifies projects and/or issue types where the field belongs.  If you "configure" the field, you will be able to change that context, expanding it to cover the defects you're filtering on.

Prashant Sinha January 31, 2019

Thanks Nic for your reply. I do cross check the share setting and it was there but still we are getting the same error. Refer the attached snapshotCapture.PNG

Like Pavel Junek likes this
Prashant Sinha January 31, 2019

Thanks Nic its resolved now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2019

Ok, let's try this a different way.

Go to an issue in the Air Canada PSS project and edit it (with the edit button, not in-line), so that you have all the editable fields available.  There's no need to change anything for this, we just need to get to a function.

To the top right, there should be a configure button, usually used for showing and hiding fields for the current user's convenience, but there's another option on it called "where's my field?"  Use that, and ask it about "Reporter Group".  It will pop up a list of reasons why the field is not on the edit screen, with links for admins to fix them.  Some of the reasons on there also block fields from being available in search.

Taini Streater July 16, 2019

I have the same problem, the custom field is an Options Select field.  it's has Issue Types and applicable context associated yet not able to pick this field in Search.  Doing the "where's my field?" test, it is on the edit screen too.   however it's not possible to Search on this field??

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2019

Thank you guys! Description of the problem and its solution just helped me :-)

Jan Herzog October 13, 2023

Just putting this out there (maybe it's helpful for others too): I was experiencing a similar problem. In my particular case the root cause seems to have been a permission issue rather than an assignment/restriction issue!

I have an Automation Rule that's supposed to edit a certain field as soon as another field is filled in. However, that rule didn't work, and the Audit Log of Automation stated that it had to do with the field not being available in the project or for the issuetype (which was not the case!).

Solution: The solution seems to have been that the (technical) user we routinely use as the "Actor" for most of our Automation Rules was not assigned the necessary Edit Right in the Permission Scheme of the respective project. As soon as I had assigned the right, the rule worked as expected.

And since that very time, the field has also become available in the search again! Don't ask me why! ;)

1 vote
Andy Ukasick October 25, 2019

We also have the same problem.  Here is an example:

Field "Application Found In" is configured in Jira to apply to all projects, but only to the "Defect" issue type.

When using the Basic Issue Navigator interface, and selecting a project with the Defect issuetype and Defects in it with data in their "Application Found In" field, the field is greyed out and cannot be selected.  This is true even for querying on just a single project which only has the Defect issue type and no other issuetypes.  

This behavior could only be called a bug.

The only workaround is to change the configuration of the custom field so that it's context makes it apply to All issuetypes instead of being limited to just the only one in which it is used.  That's a very bad workaround because it completely defeats the purpose of having custom contexts at all.  But as far as I can tell, that's the only way to eliminate the error. 

The other option is to just use the Advanced interface, in which one would find that everything behaves exactly as it should. 

Thomas Rohrer January 13, 2020

Same problem here.

ivan_chwalik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 11, 2021

I can confirm this was the problem. Removing the project from the contexts gave back the ability to filter on the custom field appropriately.

I can still filter against the field using JQL or have ALL projects selected.

Tomáš Vrabec May 11, 2022

Hello from 2022! Does anyone reported this to Atlassian? Is there an issue in backlog for that?

Facing this issue now with 15k DC tier customer ... 

Adapa, Naga Raju August 29, 2022

Search for the Field in Custom Fields -> Edit -> Make sure the Search template value is"Free Text Searcher"

Like # people like this
Aditi Dubey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 1, 2022

This works @Adapa, Naga Raju changing to "Free Text Searcher". Thanks

Like Adapa, Naga Raju likes this
Matt Edmonds September 5, 2022

@Adapa, Naga Raju I dont see "Free Text Searcher" as an option...

Capture.PNG

Thanks

Adapa, Naga Raju September 5, 2022

What type of field is yours? "Free Text Searcher" is for Text (Single/Multi) fields. If you can't find the filed, please check the context.

Thanks @Adapa, Naga Raju 

it is "Select List (single choice)"

I have it across 2 projects and 2 issue types (both the same) 

It is selectable as a filter in one project but now the other (which is a clone of the first)Capture.PNG 

*not

Adapa, Naga Raju September 5, 2022

Hope you have checked the Field configuration scheme? Does both the Projects have the same field config scheme?

0 votes
IMMUNE NEURO
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 6, 2024
0 votes
Andreas Theisinger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2020

If the field is hidden in every field configuration, you cannot search for it. It needs to be shown in at least one project.

Suggest an answer