Not able to find the option: Process all issues produced by this trigger in bulk

nagisha.vasudev July 14, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to set an automation rule which will mail a set of issues. 

But, while doing so, I am not able to find the option Process all issues produced by this trigger in bulk.

This in turn is leading to multiple emails. I am looking for one mail with consolidated list of issues.

Attaching a screenshot of the same. Kindly help.

Also, I prefer automation rule over filter subscription as I have to add some customized messages. Could you please suggest any way by which this bulk trigger can work as currently, I couldn't see the option.

MAIL_trigger.JPG

2 answers

1 vote
nagisha.vasudev July 14, 2021

Thanks Bill, this really helped :)

I am able to see the list of issues in the same mail!!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2021

I am glad to learn that helped you.  Please consider marking this question as answered.  That will help others in the community find solutions to similar problems faster.  Thanks!

__Bill

Rahul Jith June 29, 2022

Hi Bill,

Can you share the answer one more time. I am not able to see the answer for this.

Looking for a bulk process issues into one email in Cloud version.

I am getting emails for each issues which is spamming 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2022

Hi @Rahul Jith 

First thing, I recommend creating a new question, posting images of your rule and audit log details, and then linking to older threads like this one.  Otherwise only the people following this old one will see your question.  Thanks!

For Jira Cloud, please take a look at the Lookup Issues action: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Lookup-issues

You specify your JQL to find issues and then can iterate over them in a single email.

One more thing to check: if your rule is using a scheduled trigger *and* has JQL, or your email is sent from inside of a branch, you will need to make other changes to your rule to still only get one email.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2021

Hi @nagisha.vasudev 

The option you note is for the Server version of Jira, not for Cloud.  You are using Cloud, correct?

If so, the equivalent feature for Cloud automation is Lookup Issues.  For your use case, you would set up a scheduled rule without JQL, and then use Lookup Issues with JQL to process the issues as a batch.

Unfortunately, Lookup Issues does not support all of the fields, as does the Server batch processing feature.  There is a suggestion to improve that here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75018

Best regards,
Bill

Anish Taneja October 18, 2021

Hi Bill,

Is there a way where if I want to sent email to the particular assignee of the issue.

Allow an option to split each email on a per recipient basis.

For example, if we have 3 issues triggered:

• Issue 1 - Assignee - "User1"
  • Issue 2 - Assigne - "User 1"
  • Issue 3 - Assignee - "User 2"

Then the action should generate 2 emails -

• Email 1 - Issue 1, Issue 2, Sent to "User 1"
  • Email 2 - Issue 3, Sent to "User 2"

Let me know.

Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2021

Hi @Anish Taneja -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You are leaving some details out of your question, so if I assume that you want:

• a scheduled rule with some JQL criteria
  • want to send one email with issues per relevant assignee

The answers I can think of depend upon if you are using Jira Cloud or Server/Data Center version:

• For Server/Data Center, you would need individual rules by assignee (e.g. adding assignee to the JQL for the trigger), and then mark the rule to process the issues as a batch
  • For Jira Cloud you could use a scheduled rule without JQL, and then either:
    • if/else structure by assignee and Lookup Issues to send separate emails
    • create a list of users in a created variable, and then with advanced branching iterate over them with Lookup Issues to send their email

Kind regards,
Bill

Anish Taneja October 21, 2021

Hello Bill. Thank you for your prompt response. I had one more query.

I am unable to email the list of issues after branching them (and I have selected the 'Process all issues produced by this trigger in bulk' option in branch as well). Still getting individual email for each issue rather than a bulk email for all the issues as per the branch rule. (branching each assignee and trying to send 1 bulk email for their issues)

Have used the below smart value in the email body.

{{#issues}}
<a href=/{{key}}">{{key}} - {{summary}} | {{status.name}} </a>

{{/}}

Please suggest some workaround for this.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

Hi, @Anish Taneja 

Would you please post an image of your complete rule?  That may provide more context to help figure this out.  Thanks!

I wonder if this is some side-effect of selecting that batch processing operation at two scopes: the trigger for the rule and in the branch.  The image should help determine that also.

Annotation 2021-10-21 184539.pngAnnotation 2021-10-21 184312.pngAnnotation 2021-10-21 184028.png

Hi @Bill Sheboy I have attached the screenshots.

Please do let me know.

Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

Thanks for that information!  I still cannot see the bottom of your rule (after the branch), so I am guessing that the problem is:

• because the trigger is selected to process a batch with JQL, and
  • the branch is on one (current) issue, also with batch selected...
  • that you are getting multiple emails (due to the branch).

There are a couple of ways to address this:

1. Move all/most of your decision logic into the trigger's JQL, and then remove the branch to just send the email using {{issues}} 
  2. Change your scheduled trigger to use no JQL, and instead just use a branch (as batch) with any JQL you need

I recommend #1, so your rule would be something like this:

• trigger: scheduled with JQL processed as a batch.  Add the logic from your second condition so everything is tested in the JQL
  • condition: keep your date condition on {{now}} and the week
  • action: send the email to process {{issues}}

Please note in the email action I see you are referencing one issue's assignee.  That cannot work with the batch processing as there could be multiple assignees.  Please decide what you want to do: send the email to one person, make separate rules by possible assignees (selected by JQL in triggers), or send to a list of people who are possible assignees.

Annotation 2021-10-21 192301.png

@Bill Sheboy This is the complete rule. I am branching out only to filter the issues for each assignee and send them email individually. But I want to send each assignee one email for bulk issues. I would branch out for each assignee and send email and repeat this step for each assignee.

I am kind of getting your 1st option. Thank you for your thoughts!! Really appreciate it.

If I add the add the logic from the second condition in the scheduled JQL processes as a batch and keeping the now.week condition as it is, can I add if conditions for each assignee (16 assignees), so 16 if conditions and send email for each assignee (bulk issues as a batch)?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2021

Hi @Anish Taneja !

I do not believe automation rules have that capability for Data Center/Server.  (With Cloud, this would be easier to solve  :^)

The challenge is for a trigger (or branch) that once you select the "batch" option, the issues are treated as a set...I believe. So if you put the condition inside of the branch, I suspect it would filter those issues out and not be clever enough to collect them up for each assignee.  You could try this and I'd be happy to learn I am wrong.

One way that will work: separate branches with JQL, one for each possible assignee, that send each person one email.  Rules have a limit of 60 components, so if you have a lot of possible assignees that may not work...which is why I threw in that other idea of separate rules.  By my math separate branches for your use case would fit:

1 trigger + 1 condition for date + 16 * (1 branch + 1 email action) = 34 components

You could reduce the risks of errors by using a common, saved filter ID in the branches and adding to it.  Such as this, changing the assignee for each branch:

filter = 12345 AND assignee IN ("Anish Taneja")

Like Vera likes this

Suggest an answer