Not able to change Reporter field via REST API, shows anonymous

Mario Puras July 5, 2019

I have read many articles on this already but I am still not able to make progress on this topic. We are using JIRA cloud.

From within SFDC I am making a REST API call into JIRA to create a ticket. I want to change to the Reporter name to the actual employee who created the request in SFDC for the ticket.

I am passing the employee EMAIL address from SFDC as a value of an attribute to JIRA. I have tried various attribute names but I have received mixed results.  What attribute field do I need to pass in my script and in what format do I need to pass it to JIRA?

This is a snipper of the reporter code in SFDC that is part of the API call into JIRA:

// reporter id
gen.writeFieldName('reporter');
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('name', TR.SE_Email__c);
gen.writeEndObject();

TR.SE_Email__c = this has the employee email address.

The email address from SFDC "TR.SE_Email__c" is the same email address for the employee in JIRA. The login into JIRA is that the employees use is their email ID.

Here are the attributes that I have tried in my script:

1. 'name' - Works perfect when I myself submit the JIRA ticket request from SFDC but when someone else who is not me tries to create a ticket from within SFDC it returns this error: {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"The reporter specified is not a user."}}. However the employee/user actually exist in JIRA.

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('name', TR.SE_Email__c);
gen.writeEndObject();

I tried:
name hardcoded with email address of zack@acme.com which is a valid user/email in JIRA or any other email address. It shows the reporter field as "anonymous"
user hardcoded with mario@acme.com which is a valid user email address in JIRA. The reporter field successfully shows my name

I can go into JIRA directly for the ticket that gets created and manually change the user to zack@acme.com and it takes the change no problem.

2. 'accountId' - When I returns error {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"Account ID mario@acme.com does not exist."}}. However this is my valid user email address that exist in JIRA.

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('accountId', TR.SE_Email__c);
gen.writeEndObject();

I have also tried passing the actual user accountId like such:

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('accountId', '557058%3Ae6c1467a-8985-4292-ae6c-8bac00822a33');
gen.writeEndObject();

but and I get this error: {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"Account ID 557058%3Ae6c1467a-8985-4292-ae6c-8bac00822a33 does not exist."}}

3. 'id' - {"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"Account ID mario@acme.com does not exist."}} However this is a valid user and the email address exist in JIRA exactly as shown.

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('id', TR.SE_Email__c);
gen.writeEndObject();

I have also tried passing the actual user accountId like such:

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('Id', '557058%3Ae6c1467a-8985-4292-ae6c-8bac00822a33');
gen.writeEndObject();

and while I dont get an error and the ticket is created in JIRA the Reporter field shows anonymous.

4. 'username' - When using this attribute the ticket gets created in JIRA but JIRA shows Reporter field as anonymous.

// reporter id
gen.writeStartObject();
gen.writeStringField('username', TR.SE_Email__c);
gen.writeEndObject();

I also tried:
username hardcoded with mpuras@netskope.com but again it shows up the Reporter field as "anonymous"

I am out of ideas here. Open to suggestions if someone could please advise how to get this working, what is the proper field that I can pass to JIRA so that the reporter is properly set and DOES NOT show Anonymous as the Reporter user.

Also, for the project permission I do have the user service account (user calling the rest service) that is used to authenticate SFDC to JIRA to create the ticket listed as having permission to modify reporter field. I also have the Reporter field in the create and edit screens.

1 answer

1 vote
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hi @Mario Puras ,

According to the documentation for the /rest/api/2/issue endpoint in order to set the reporter you should use the below syntax:

"reporter": {
      "id": "557058:d6b5955a-e193-41e1-b051-79cdb0755d68"
    },

However, before going any further with the code, can check:

1. That the user account used to authenticate the REST API call has proper rights
  2. That you are able to set the reporter via REST API using Curl or Postman (in case you cannot please share the request body, the response, the error message returned etc)

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer