Not able to add an option to a NextGen field using REST API

David Frager December 21, 2020

I am trying to use the REST API to add an option to a NextGen Drop Down field.

I have attempted to use /rest/api/3/customField/13173/option, but I get a 400 response with a message: b'{"errorMessages":["Global context does not exist for the field 13173."],"errors":{}}' 

How can I determine what ContextID I need to use for this specific NextGen project?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Hi @David Frager 

Welcome to Community! Not all Jira Cloud API would work on a next-gen project, such as customField option, this exist on classic projects as next-gen doesn't have a way yet to modify individual fieldset except you're calling this from a connect app. then you can use the connect app API for customfield options. Likewise each field on a next-gen project is Project based and not Global. 

David Frager December 22, 2020

@Prince Nyeche Thanks for the reply.  

Am I able to write a connect app to interface with our cloud instance of JIRA?

We have several critical data fields used by Classic JIRA that I need access to in a nextgen project.  Since this is not possible, and the data does not change frequently, my plan was to write a quick application to do a compare / merge to keep these fields updated for both types of projects.   If the connect app API solves that, then I can investigate that path.  

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Hi @David Frager 

Just to reiterate, next-gen fields are completely separate entities from Classic fields. So if in your use case, you created similar custom field (bearing the same name or not), then you can do a comparison / update the next-gen field with the Classic field data. And Yes you can interface with a connect app, but you probably have to go through this docs to understand JWT and how you can use it. Read this article on issue fields to get more context.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events