No more subtask button (instead hierarchy)

Jean Francois Gelinas April 25, 2024

I may have missed a release note but it seems that the subtask button was replaced by a hierarchy button in our projects.  This affect the core design of our business structure.  Is there a way to re-active this  like it used to be ?  I cant choose "subtask" now ...

The button is still there forthe other type of projects.

Thanks for your time.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2024

Hello @Jean Francois Gelinas 

Can you provide example images where you do and do not see the subtask button?

For what types of projects is the button present and for what types of projects is it absent? You can find the project type information on the View All Projects page.

Jean Francois Gelinas April 29, 2024

@Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your time.

My hierarchy in the business is the following

-Priority

-Project

-Epic

-Task

Now we used to have the possibility to introduce subtask (level -1 in hierarchy) at each level.  The view (the Jira screen) associated with these level give us the possibility to add a subtask with a button.  Now this button is replaced by "hierarchy", so at the level "priority" for example, I can only add "Project".  Not subtasks anymore ...

It seems the only way to add a subtask is now by automating something at the creation. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2024

Hello @Jean Francois Gelinas 

To the best of my knowledge in Jira Cloud subtasks have been allowed at only the lowest level in the Premium subscription, but I could be wrong. I know that Jira Server/Data Center did allow creation of subtasks at other levels.

The ability to add a child issue in a Premium subscription is constrained to conform to the Issue Type Hierarchy, which allows subtasks only as the lowest level. Otherwise children are restricted to the issue types directly below the issue type to which you are trying to add a child, in accordance with the Issue Type Hierarchy. The Parent field is likewise constrained to allow you to select parent issues only from the level directly above the issue type where you are trying to set the Parent field.

Jean Francois Gelinas April 30, 2024

@Trudy Claspill This is new (been using subtasks at every kind of level, for 3-4 years in the cloud) and highly problematic.  Subtasks were "subtyped" to capture all kind of different elements quickly, like a budget, a quick task to do, etc.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2024

Hmm, news to me. But I don't spend a lot of time working with Premium subscriptions with extended.isdue type hierarchy. It seems to me that subtasks could not be added to Epics already. But perhaps they could be added to higher levels because those issues types are created as "standard" issue types (versus Epic or Subtask types).

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2024

I suggest you provide that feedback to Atlassian using the feedback option in the product, or through a support case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events