Next-gen sprint project: What makes an issue complete?

Victor Tso January 5, 2021

I'm dumbfounded as to what makes an issue complete or incomplete. I completed a sprint and a bunch of issues (actually, just about all of them) moved from the old sprint to the new sprint, even the ones in the Done state with a Done resolution. In fact, the only completed issue I see is one that is in a custom Closed state (which is in progress type) with no resolution. I'm seeing these designations through the Sprint burndown chart feature and it's not giving me any clues as to what incantation is needed. I have tried setting story estimates, fix version, redoing the Done state, etc, but none of them have succeeded in moving my tasks to the completed issues section.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

They have to be in the right-hand most column on your board.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 3.49.09 PM.png

In my case, they all need to be in the "Done" column.

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Hi Victor - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Typically, for sprints, it will consider an issue to be complete if it is in the last column (far right column) on the board. 

Victor Tso January 5, 2021

That was the exact right answer. Thank you for the help. This is a slightly awkward interpretation since we have Done status as well, but at least I'm good to go now.

Tony Lenz May 10, 2021

Just ran into this issue, and updating column order "fixed" it for us.

So just to be clear, the "Done" category has nothing to do with things that are "completed". Only the furthest right column means things were "completed".

What is the suggested setup if you have multiple status tied to the "Done" category?

What if instead of left-to-right one prefers right-to-left, would "To-do" category items be treated as completed?

We cannot effectively track velocity with utilizing multiple statuses tied to the "Done" category because of this underlying issue. :(

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

For completion of the Sprint - correct, the only factor is that the card is in the far right column.

Yes, in a right to left scenario, To Do items would be considered completed. 

Tony Lenz May 11, 2021

Just FYI, we ran into this issue because we wanted multiple "Done" status, e.g. "Abandoned". Our more rare "Abandoned" (with a "Done" status) occupied the furthest right column causing this issue for us.

After messing around with with the board editor, we were able to put both our "Done" + "Abandoned" status that were of "Done" type under a single "Done" column and we deleted the previously generated "Abandoned" column. Hopefully this others cope with this unintuitive behavior.

Like Kane Anderson likes this
Tony Lenz May 13, 2021

Hopefully this confusion could be cleared up via - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21497

Add your vote if you think so too.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events