Next-Gen Plan shows Epics as Issues without a Parent

angus.vos@dta.gov.au
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 22, 2019

I am currently working on building a plan in my Jira portfolio which shows the work coming from multiple projects. Each of these projects has epics with child issues. 

When I am selecting the source of the plan, the epics in these projects do not show up if Epics are selected as the source, instead they are classified as issues without a parent epic. No epics also show up on the schedule. I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this and if so, what fix they have tried/found. 

I have tried adding epics within the plan, and it tells me that there is a missing issue type in the project. Both Projects I am testing my build with have Epics as an issue type. 

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hello Angus,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Epics have a different relationship and configuration in JIRA Next-gen projects, which causes it to don't be recognized as Epics in Portfolio Application, but as standard issues, since it misses some of the definitions of an Epic from a classic project.

That being said, we have a feature request to improve this behavior here:

Add support for EPICs from Next-Gen / Simplified Agility projects into Portfolio

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can use the workaround below:

Go to Portfolio's hierarchy configuration and map the Epic issue types coming from next-gen projects to the Epic level so Portfolio will properly recognize them.

STILL, once the mapping is done and the NextGen EPIC is mapped to the EPIC in the Portfolio's hierarchy settings:

• The nextgen EPICs are recognized as EPIC and they can be created from within Portfolio and commit to the project, but there are other problems:
    • The dependencies are not imported from the project source into Portfolio
    • The dependencies creation and updates are not committed from Portfolio to project. This is causing discrepancies between the project and the portfolio plan and then the project needs to be updated manually to fit the committed plan.
    • The issues created with a dependency on an EPIC from Portfolio are not visible in the project backlog or board's views, they can be accessed as the project's issues using the issuekey directly. This is not the case for the issues created without dependency, they will appear in the project's backlog after the portfolio's plan change has been committed.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer