Newbie question -- how do I begin working with REST Api?

Gail May 16, 2022

I'm on Jira and Confluence cloud, and I don't want to create anything -- just query what limited data may be available to help with admin tasks.

I have no idea what app (add-on or something like Mac terminal) I would use to access the API.  

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hey @Gail ,

There are several tools out there that can query the api for you in a user friendly way. (things like Postman for example)

I've always had fun with a simple browser extension, e.g. on Chrome you can use Yet Another Rest Client to easily do some simple queries.

But this will take some experimenting on your end. With these tools you won't need to write code to connect but still need to define your payload to send towards the api endpoints.

Gail May 16, 2022

Thanks so much for the quick response.    Have a great day!!

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Also don't forget to read thru the documentation (which is extensive)

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Hi @Gail welcome to the community.
Here's some resources you can start with:
YouTube Tutorial 

Rest API Documentation

Atlassian Developer Rest Introduction 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL