New custom field with default value - Not displayed in the issue screen

Karthiga Sethuraj October 15, 2018

I added a new custom field and set a default value as well so that it gets displayed on the issue detail screen even if it is not filled in by the user while creating the issue. As we do not want this field to be a required field. But for some reason it is not showing up as expected.

Any thoughts?

Does it have to do anything with reindex?

I know JIRA Cloud does not have indexing option anymore. 

3 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2018

@Karthiga Sethuraj I would avoid putting a default value in the issue. I had a manager complain about not seeing the field and forced me to put TBD as a default. When more than half the issues were closed with TBD instead of the correct value they decided it wasn't a good idea. People tend not to put in values if there is already one there and you can't making it a required field during a transition doesn't work because it already has a value. 

Karthiga Sethuraj October 17, 2018

Thank you for the inputs Joe. I understand the risk in pre-populating a meaningless default value for a field. We do not want this to be required field as this cannot be updated at the time of ticket creation. It is just a process that the project teams want to enforce and get into the habit of filling this field. 

Yeah I did the same and it is fixed now :) Thank you !!

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2018

Hello,

In the view issue screen only custom fields, which have a value, are displayed. That is how Jira works. Your custom field does not have a value for this issue, that is why it is hidden. If you want a custom field to be always visible in the Issue view screen, then you should provide a default value for this custom field. That is what the message says.

Thank you Alex. I understood this error but didn't realize that I need to go back and update this field with the default value for all the existing tickets. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

That is right. You can do it with the bulk edit functionality.

You should write a JQL like this:

yourcustomfield is empty

Then bulk edit your custom field with the defult value. You can find more info about bulk edit here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-861257342.html

Yeah I did the same and it is fixed now :) Thank you !!

0 votes
Karthiga Sethuraj October 15, 2018

image.png

Suggest an answer