Nested permissions for filters & dashboards within a permission scheme

Johnny Maw November 5, 2019

Within a given permission scheme, I have two groups of users who collectively work within a project/permission scheme. These groups use different dashboards to slice and dice their workload, and I would like to remove the noise of the other team's dashboards (and filters) so that users can only access dashboards pertinent to their work.

In other words, when a user who is part of a set of users within a project goes to her available dashboards, I would like that user to only see dashboards for which the administrator has designed for that user's role's consumption. And I would like to avoid project based roles because that would mean with each new employee we would have to attach them to a specific project and role...the user may touch many, many projects.

This seems like an easy scenario, but I cannot figure out how to nest groups in Jira without breaking the LDAP (we need our AD in place).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2019

Hey John - What about creating different filters for each dashboard that filters out the noise. And then just share each filter and dashboard with the group that needs to see it. 

Johnny Maw November 7, 2019

That is a great solution John.

When I initially created those groups, none were available when I attempted to permission a dashboard and/or filter to the particular group. As I thought through it more, I figured that was either because:

• a) I was not a member of the groups I was trying to permission and/or
  • b) because those groups were not permissioned to browse issues in an active permission scheme.

Rather than testing which scenario was causing the issue, I chose the lazy route and created and divided users between multiple groups (instead of a single group) and added them all to the browse permission. Now, access to the "Crayon" business in our Jira system, is composed by the following (3) groups (rather than 1):

• Crayon - PM
  • Crayon - Engineers
  • Crayon - Marketing

All crayon teams have the browse permission, but dashboards and team-specific filters have been attributed to one or more of the individual groups.

With that said, maybe you have a better understanding of what was happening in this scenario?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2019

Hey John,

Most likely cause was because you yourself were not in the group. Jira doesn't allow you to share with groups, etc. if you are not in the group - the group just doesn't come up in the list to select from. Just add yourself to the group and then you should be able to see it and use it. 

I think your solution to have 3 different groups is spot on because you have different folks in each, more than likely. That's probably what I would have done, too. 

If all of that works for you, can you click on the Accept answer button to close this one out?  :-)

Suggest an answer