Need to change authentication order via SQL commands

Christopher Reitci June 2, 2017

On my Jira Test system I have just added the LDAP authentication connectivity. I then changed the order of authentication to look at LDAP first. Problem is I just locked myself out and I don't know of a local admin ID I can use (the original installers did not keep that info around).

Rather than re-installing the software over again I want to go into the SQL db and change the authentication order to where JIRA Internal Directory is first, then restart Jira.

What SQL commands can I use to do this?

I am using Jira v7.1.9

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2017

The table you want is cwd_directory. 

Start with 

select * from cwd_directory;

Note the id column for the LDAP and JIRA Internal directories (check the directory_name column)

The id for LDAP is probably 0, set it to a temporary value, like 2, to free up 0 for your Internal Directory:

update cwd_directory set directory_position = 2 where id = <LDAP id from previous query>;

Then use a similar update statement to change the Internal directory position to 0. Afterward, change the temporary 2 to 1 so the directory_position column is 0 and 1.

David Martin June 6, 2017

Yes this worked for me.  Now the search order is Jira Internal Directory first, the Active Directory.

Christopher Reitci June 6, 2017

This worked for me and I am able to get into my Jira again.  Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

A lot of it is about changing passwords and groups etc, but there's also instructions on changing the order and enabling different  directories in there.

Christopher Reitci June 6, 2017

Thanks Nic.  This was resolved by changing the authentication order above - but your link to manually create a local admin user would have been my backup plan.

Suggest an answer