Need to Roll up field values

Sanjivani Wayal April 6, 2023

Hi All,

We have hierarchy as EPIC -- Feature -- Story 

The fields Populated in Story (Original Estimate, Time Spent, Remaining time/Time tracking) are getting rolled up to Features .

Need to know Is there anyway that these field values will get Rolled up in EPIC ? This will help us in creating Dashboard on EPIC level which can give information about Estimates and efforts.

3 answers

1 vote
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2023

The Structure by Tempo add-on can display the rolled-up values in a column in the Structure view (although it doesn't store the rolled-up value in the parent issue, at least not yet). We're happy Structure customers who have used it very successfully for several years and recommend it very highly. 

Anil Konur
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2024

Hi Kelly,

Can you point me to the resource on how to do this? By default, not appearing to do it

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2024

Hi @Anil Konur

If you're on Jira Cloud, then:

If you're on Jira Data Center, then:

Basically what you want to do is:

• Start with an Insert Generator to pull in the relevant Epics
  • Add an Extend Generator to pull in issues under Epics
  • Optionally, add another Extend Generator to pull in Sub-Tasks
  • Then, add a Totals column for each field that you want to roll up, e.g., Remaining Estimate, Time Spent, etc.

I contributed to a webinar and a Jira article a while back which I hope might also be of some help.

Best, 

Kel 

Anil Konur
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 10, 2024

thank you. Very helpful!

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

Hello @Sanjivani Wayal 

Jira doesn't do that automatically.

You would need to use something like the Automation for Jira feature to automate rolling up the data from Features to Epics. 

Sanjivani Wayal April 9, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill ,  

I was trying to setup the automation but in the Select field it is only giving me option for Time Tracking , how can i also copy field Original Estimate?

image.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023
Sanjivani Wayal April 11, 2023

Hey saw the Post and trying same thing but not succeeding original estimate is not getting updated

I tried the the automation we have hierarchy that Feature is child of EPIC or any other issue and 1 epic can have more than 1 features , so basically  original estimates on all features there sum value should be populated in parent EPIC 

In Action of Edit Issue i have written {{#sum}}issue.childIssues.fields.Original Estimate.sum / 60{{/}} for Original Estimate

image.png 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

What is in the rule Audit Log when the rule is executed?

I think you have a syntax error.

First {{#sum}} is not valid syntax for a math operation smart value. It needs to start with {{#=}}.

Additionally I don't this smart value is a valid reference. Where did you get that?

issue.childIssues

Sanjivani Wayal April 11, 2023

Eairlier it was updating remaining time and now after using {{#=}} its giving error also what can be used to update the field on Parent issues then in the syntax :-

{{#=}} issue.childIssues.fields.Original Estimate.sum / 60{{/}} 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

What is in the Audit Log for the rule when it executes?

From what document did you get the idea that issue.childIssues was a valid smart value?

Sanjivani Wayal April 13, 2023

In Audit Rule its sucess but adding value in Time tracking and i got issue.childIssues this from goggle

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

Please show us the messages in the Audit Log for execution of the rule.

Please provide the link that Google gave you for the page that talks about using issue.childIssues.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

This is the rule you need for summing up the Original Estimate of your Features to your Epics.

Note that this works only when you change the Original Estimate for a Feature that is already linked to an Epic. If you move a Feature from one Epic to another, this rule does not recalculate the Original Estimate for the Epic.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.38.40 AM.png

1. The Trigger: when Time Tracking information is changed

2. Condition: proceed only if the trigger issue is an Epic

3. Condition: Make sure that the Epic is actually linked to a Feature. If it is, the Parent Link field in the Epic will contain a value.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.43.24 AM.png

4. Branch up to the Feature

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.43.41 AM.png

5. Retrieve the child Epics of that feature.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.47.44 AM.png

6. This is a debugging action. I am logging to the rule's Audit Log the value of the sum of the Original Estimates of the child Epics. In my system the value is stored in Seconds.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.47.53 AM.png

7. Edit the Feature to set the Original Estimate field.

In my system, as I said above, the Original Estimate is stored in the database in Seconds. My Time Tracking setting has the Default Unit for Time Tracking set to Hours. So I need to convert the sum to hours. That is what the .divide(3600) is for. You'll want to double check what the Default Unit for Time Tracking set to for your system to figure out what number you need to use in the division.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 10.48.02 AM.png

Like # people like this
Sanjivani Wayal April 26, 2023

Thank you @Trudy Claspill  for the answer i tried it but its not working no action is performed 

Issue condition
The following issues did not match the condition:
My EPIC is linked with feature with link as EPIC "is parent of" Feature do i need to change something instead of parent Link?
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Your post is tagged that you are using the Premium edition. Are you making your Features children of Epics through an Advanced Roadmap Plan? Are you instead using generic issue linking?

My rule works if you have made the Feature a child of an Epic through an Advanced Roadmap Plan. In that case there is no Linked Issue information shown between the two issues. Instead the relationship shows in the issue breadcrumbs.

Can you provide a screen image of the details of one of your Features showing the related Epic in the Linked Issues section?

I will get back to you on how to do this when you use generic issue linking.

Sanjivani Wayal April 26, 2023

Hi , Iam using general Linking to make Features the child of EPIC screenshot attached :-

image.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2023

In that case you need a rule like this (with different names used for the links):

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.33.27 AM.png

In the first condition you need to be checking that the trigger issue is a Feature, not an Epic. (I don't have Features in my system so I had to specify Epic.)

Step 3 is a condition for checking if there are issues linked to the trigger issue. You can specify the type of the links you want to check. In your case you would use the link name you see in your Features that show its relationship to the Epic. It probably something like "is child of".

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.35.41 AM.png

In Step 4 you use a For Branch / Related Issues / Linked Issues to change the context to the parent Epic of your feature. Again, here you would need to use the link info that specifies the relationship from your Epic to your Feature.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.40.44 AM.png

For Step 5, now that you have change the context to the parent Epic, you need to collect all the child Features of that Epic. Do this with the Lookup Issues action using a JQL to retrieve the child Feature issues. In the JQL where I used has bug you would use is parent of

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.42.15 AM.png

And finally for Step 6 you Edit the issue in context (the Epic), updating the Original Estimate field to be the sum of the Original Estimates for all the child issues, as collected by the Lookup Issues action.

Based on the settings for my system, I had to divide the sum by 60 to get the Original Estimate of the parent issue to truly match the sum of the estimate of the child issues. The denominator for you might be different based on your system settings.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.51.54 AM.png

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
0 votes
Sanjivani Wayal April 13, 2023

image.png

This is for Audit log

Can you help in what needs to be used to update sum of original estimate of child issues on Parent issue?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events