Need help with mysterious CSV import errors/warnings

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

I have been helping a team with CSV imports and I am getting errors and warnings like:

• Destination issue not found
  • Component lead null not found
  • Commenter named null not found. Creating issue with currently logged in user instead

The first one, destination issue not found - no idea of what that refers to.

The second error makes sense is the Component error, since that's where the log shows that error.  The documentation says absolutely nothing about importing a lead, or how to do it - so.... how can that be fixed in a CSV import?

According to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-64520 this isn't going to be fixed, so if that's the case why is Jira complaining??

Same for commenter - how do you specify a commenter in the CSV?

2021-05-25 20:30:50,132 INFO - ------------------------------
2021-05-25 20:30:50,132 INFO - Importing: Components
2021-05-25 20:30:50,132 INFO - ------------------------------
2021-05-25 20:30:50,132 INFO - Only new items will be imported
2021-05-25 20:30:50,134 INFO - Importing component (redacted)
2021-05-25 20:30:50,135 WARN - Component lead null not found
2021-05-25 20:30:50,755 INFO - ------------------------------
2021-05-25 20:30:50,755 INFO - Finished Importing : Components
2021-05-25 20:30:50,755 INFO - ------------------------------

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Hello @Rob Horan 

Are you using the import option found on the Advanced Filters screen or under the administration settings?

Concerning "Destination issue not found", are you trying to create new issues through your import or update existing issues? Are you mapping some column to the Issue ID field during the import?

Concerning "Component lead null not found", using CSV to import Component values for the project does not currently support importing Component Lead information for the component. As that is only a warning message it should not be disrupting your import process.

To import the author of a comment, you provide all the information for a single comment information in one column, in this type of format:

"<date>;<comment Author username>;<comment text>"

"01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"

Examples are shown in this document:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2021

Thank you - this is an external system import (since status needs to be mapped) and there were sub-task to parent task mappings that took place, but there were no detailed errors in the log - the only thing that appeared was that vague "Destination issue not found" in the UI.  There was truly NOTHING in the log that identified the problematic row in the CSV or anything that could help diagnose this.

As for the rest, that Component Lead warning is not appropriate IMHO.  If its not possible to map component lead then this should be an information statement that new components were mapped with no component lead, not a warning, which implies the user made a mistake.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

If you would like to open a change request with Atlassian to change the messages that appear in the import log, you should contact Atlassian Support directly at 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

I agree that the log is not crystal clear in its messaging.

For the "destination issue not found" issue, I don't think I can help you debug that more without access to the input file and the log file.

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2021

Well... see the problem is there are issues like  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-64520 where the problem is known and reported and the issue is closed as something that will never be fixed...

Like Italo _Modus Create_ likes this
0 votes
Nicole Griffin January 18, 2022

Hello, wondering if the solution to the comment author issue above was resolved? I have tried the exact format above and while the date and comment are imported properly, it does not import the author and so defaults to me as the commenter for all. Very much need the commenter to import properly, if anyone has alternative solutions or reasons this is failing.

Have tried replacing user name (firstname.lastname) with email on an off chance - no luck.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer