Need help with configuring Fields on Issue screens

Max Sudik March 24, 2021

Hi,

Could you please help me resolving the below problems I faced:

1) Why some fields are displayed on "Configure Issue" page but not displayed on "Issue Layout" page?

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.50.01 PM.png

2) Where is "Original Estimate" field on "Configure Issue" page? I can't find it.. It's displayed somehow on "Issue Layout" page...

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.54.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.55.08 PM.png

3) I can see "Original Estimate" field on "Issue Layout" page, but I can add it only under "General" tab and can't add under "Time Tracking" tab (which is created by me)...

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.55.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.56.07 PM.png

4) Is there a way to move plugin as fields from one tab to another?

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 1.01.54 PM.png

Thanks in avance

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021
  1. Some fields are displayed no matter what, or displayed differently.  You don't need them in the Layout because of that
  2. Original estimate is not really a field, it's a part of the field "time tracking".  Try adding that instead
  3. This is down to how it displays - it won't appear on the tab, it's part of the system time tracking field so appears as part of that if you add it to any tab (in other words, it will get pulled out of the field list and displayed elsewhere if you do add it)
  4. No, there's no way to re-order apps yet
Max Sudik March 24, 2021

Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

When I added "Time tracking" it moved "Time Remaining" field to another tab.

Btw, do you have examples or links to some videos what could be possible use cases for tabs and what kinda fields can we move to those tabs.

Just curious about experience of other teams.

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

There are loads of use cases for tabs, but they all really come down to "we have quite a number of fields and most people don't need to see all of them all of the time".

A couple of obvious ones -

• If you have an issue representing an incident, you probably have some fields around the current impact on it, but later in the process of dealing with it, you might have a batch of "how we fixed it" fields and maybe more "how do we stop it happening again" fields that only matter a) later in the process after the immediate one is fixed and b) are only important to the team analysing it later.  It would make sense to tab those over.
  • We have a project for creating, maintaining and destroying atlassian services for demos and testing - first tab has the obvious stuff - a bit of sizing, Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket/etc, then tab 2 has apps to install, tab 3 about when to shut it down and restart it to save some money, tab 4 is a load of informational techy stuff about the environment
  • A not uncommon one is to see a tab per step in the workflow, when a workflow asks for additional information as it moves through the flow

As for the types of field:

• Pretty much all fields can be placed on a tab for the create, edit and transition screens - any field a person can enter on new issue
  • Views and layouts are a bit more complex.  I think of it as "Jira will pull out certain types of field".  It will then place them differently, no matter what tab you might add them to.  Broadly, these are
    • Most of the built-in system fields will be re-arranged (description, type, summary, version, watchers etc)
    • Date and date/time fields will go to a date/time area
    • People fields go to a people area (assignee, reporter, user pickers, group pickers, etc)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events