Need a way to restrict something

Hitesh May 2, 2023

Hello,

User cannot create the ticket if the follow conditions are not met.

I have these 2 fields called FieldX (Multi-line) and FieldY(single-line). 

- FieldX is not empty and field Y is not empty

- These both can be empty but they both cannot have value. 

- But either one can.

Please let me know how I can achieve this condition.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hello @Hitesh 

Can you please try again to explain the validation requirements? The first two contradict each other

"FieldX is not empty and FieldY is not empty" = neither field can be empty so both must contain data

"These both can be empty" - This is a direct contradiction of the first statement.

Perhaps you can provide a table that explains the conditions?

Field X  Field Y  Passes validation? 
is empty  is empty   
is empty  is not empty   
is not empty  is empty   
is not empty  is not empty   
Hitesh May 3, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

If both are empty =Pass (Both can be empty)

1 Empty and 1 not= Pass (1 field can be empty)

Both not empty= Fial (1Field should ahve value)

Thanks!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

When I last worked with Jira Data Center (v7.x) some years ago I remember being able to use logical operators in some part of the advanced workflow configuration. Looking through the documentation it appears that is available only for Conditions, not for Validators.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/advanced-workflow-configuration-938847443.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-conditions

You said you need this during issue creation, but Conditions can't be added to the issue creation transition, so you will have to go with Validators.

I'll defer to @Daniel Ebers to provide you with additional guidance since I don't have access to a Jira Server/DC instance where I could work out the details.

Hitesh May 3, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  No Problem. Thanks! anyway

2 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2023

Hi @Hitesh

this is normally a requirement where Apps come into the play.
From Marketplace (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/) you can find ones where such complex logic for conditions actually can be made.

What we used in the past, kindly evaluate if you can address your needs with them, would be:

There surely are others, please check.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hitesh May 3, 2023

Hey @Daniel Ebers 

I have all the above listed app.. How do i achive this.. can you walk me through the process.

Thanks.

Hitesh May 3, 2023

Even automation for Jira works for me.. just need to work it out :D 

Suggest an answer