My setup is failing with the message as "Error connecting to database"

manisha sharma April 21, 2023

I have installed Jira software on an EC2 linux machine and have created a RDS POSTGRESQL. I am able to connect between ec2 and RDS, however while doing the SetupDatabase in the browser, its failing with the message as: at http://10.124.157.124:8080/secure/SetupDatabase.jspa 

Error connecting to database

FATAL: database "jira-database" does not exist

I also manually created dbconfig.xml in the location /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data with my rds details but no luck. 

Can you please help as to what I am missing here?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

Hello @manisha sharma 

Welcome to the community!

Just FYI - I see that you have tagged your post as "cloud" and "jira-software-cloud". Those tags are used to indicate you are using Jira hosted by Atlassian, not that you are hosting your own Jira instance in the a cloud provider.

If you are installing the software your self on hosts that you manage, even if they are in a cloud provider, then you should tag your post as "data-center".

sorry for the confusion. I am using AWS RDS and AWS EC2 for jira.

Thanks for the reply though!

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

@manisha sharma i have removed the cloud tag and replaced it with data center tag.

1 vote
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

Hello @manisha sharma ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

As per the error screenshot it seems database name/or URL which you are providing is not reaching.

I hope you are following the correct format.

for example,  

pgm-l4v72fgghjt1ho6vsb194100.pgsql.me-central-1.rds.aws.com:5432/jira-database

For your case the port number and database name will be different, and URL is nothing but the endpoint URL of RDS service.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Mayur

I am using the same details as you mentioned:

Endpoint
jira-database.cqhasb7gyzgf.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com
Port

database name: jira-database

Screenshot attached.Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 2.41.42 PM.png

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

@manisha sharma  is your RDS is using MySQL or PostgreSQL engine and can you please check and try the format i have share with you in my previous comment.

Its PostgreSQL engine. 

When you say format, where do I use that because what I can see while setting up and in the screenshot, I am using those details only. 

Endpoint is jira-database.cqhasb7gyzgf.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com
Port no is 5432

DBname is: jira-database

so, what format should it be. I didnt get you.

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

can you please try in this format jdbc:postgresql://<rds-instance-hostname>/<database-name>

where replace<rds-instance-hostname> with your RDS endpoint URL and <database-name> with your actual DB name and put this in Hostname in database configuration page?

Thank you, its working now!!

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

@manisha sharma  I am glad it is working. Please do hit the accept button so that it will be helpful to others.

Suggest an answer