• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

My newly create jira issues have a massive number for an identifier!?

I started with Jira 5 and have subsequently upgraded over the years to Jira 8.  Originally newly created issues were create fine in terms of a project/issue key (ISSUE-1, ISSUE-2, ISSUE3 etc etc).  Somewhere along the line these sequential numbering has gone a miss, newly created issues now are in the hundreds of thousands (ISSUE-240104, ISSUE-240105 etc), Jira works as expected but some how and I have no idea how 240,000 has been added to my numbering sequence. It would be nice if I could some how subtract this 240,000 and the system generate the next issue number with somthing that is a little easier to convey in spoken conversation!

Thanks 

1 answer

Hello @Christian Weaves 

With JIRA Server it is possible to change the next number to be used for a new issue in a project by updating the database. If you do a search in google for "jira server reset next issue key number" you will find a few posts on that topic from this community.

Bear in mind that if you do this, it will crash when the numbers hit an issue that already exists

I would move the high-numbered issues out to another project before changing the number on the project. (see the project table in the database)

I would also want to find out where the emoty numbers are coming from, or there's every chance it will happen again.  The usual culprit I've seen is an incoming email with broken characters in it - the mail handler sees it, reads it starts to create an issue (hence "reserving" the number), then craps out and doesn't create or delete/mark read the email, so the next time it runs, it does it again.

So I went along with Trudy's suggestion (before your post @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ ). I updated the next Id in the database and added a few issues. When my pcounter naturally incremented to an id that already existed it appeared to jump to the next available id. As a result I'm confused.  I have just over 200 issues until I hit my next "reserved Id" so I'm in two minds whether to leave it or not!?!

Thanks

You really need to find out what is causing the increments.  Have you got any mail set up for this?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

874 views 14 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you