My Step won't show in my tickets

Andrew Custer May 17, 2023

Hello

I created a workflow step "Won't Do" with attributed Status "Closed". I see the status in my workflow diagram, but I don't see the step in the ticket pulldown. I've attached a couple of screenshots to share what I am seeing. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 4.43.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-17 at 4.43.59 PM.png

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Hello @Andrew Custer 

Are you sure you updated the Workflow that is applicable to the specified issue type in the specified project?

Did you publish the updates to the workflow?

Did you add a Condition to the step?

Can you show us the diagram for the workflow?

Andrew Custer May 22, 2023

Are you sure you updated the Workflow that is applicable to the specified issue type in the specified project?

Answer - I associated all the issuetypes to the workflow here. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 1.47.54 PM.png

Did you publish the updates to the workflow?

Answer - To my knowledge, yes. But it still shows that it contains a draft. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 1.44.22 PM.png

Did you add a Condition to the step?

Answer - No, I didn't want to add any rigidity to it. 

Can you show us the diagram for the workflow?

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 1.21.48 PM.png

I'm wondering if I should just delete the Status and Step and start fresh. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Here you are looking at the Workflow Scheme, not the Workflow itself.

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 2.00.11 PM.png

You need to check if the Workflow itself has been published.

Looking at the last image (the diagram) I see there are no arrows going into the Closed Status. If there are no arrows going into a status that means there are no Transitions that will allow an issue to move to that status. A Transition needs to be added that defines the acceptable starting statuses (All or specific statuses) and the destination status (Closed).

A "Step" and a "Status" are the same thing. Adding a Step in the Text view is simply adding a Status to the Workflow. It does not include adding transitions TO that new status.

If you go to the Diagram view and click on the Closed lozenge you will likely see something like this:

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 2.09.43 PM.png

Click on the Add Transition option to add a transition into that status.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Andrew Custer May 31, 2023

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 12.14.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-31 at 12.13.10 PM.png

So I think I fixed that, but when I publish, it doesn't go live. Also, per below, I am missing Blocked as well. I had added In Review, UAT, In QA, and Ready for Development successfully, so I'm not completely dense. Somehow I feel like I missed a step and can't recover. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 12.16.11 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

I don't see a lozenge labeled "Blocked" in your workflow diagram. 

Andrew Custer May 31, 2023

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 2.55.23 PM.png

The step is "Blocked", the state is "Open", which is already in the diagram. Should the Step and State always match? Ugh. Is that the conflict? Because I am reusing states across multiple steps? So if I delete those steps I should be able to get them to work?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

The name of the Step and the name of the Status is not required to match.

The Step names do not display in the pull-down for Status in the issue details. That pull-down shows either just the Status names or Status names and Workflow Transition names.

When a workflow contains only Global Transitions (all statuses can transition to all other statuses) as yours does then the Status pull down in the issue will display the names of the Statuses.

If you had transitions in your workflow that were not Global Transitions then the pull-down would show Status names and related Transition names.

Example: This workflow has no Global Transitions.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 3.53.25 PM.png

Notice that there are two explicit transitions available for an issue in the In Progress status. One goes back to To Do and the other goes to Done. I gave each of those transitions a name to make it easy to distinguish the name of the transitions from the destination status. This is what appears in the Status pull-down for an issue.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 3.53.06 PM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events