Multiple subtasks with sequential due dates

kfarnen December 1, 2020

Hello! I have been trying to use JIRA Automation to allow for a custom date field to automatically set the due dates for 47 different subtasks - each being 5 business days a part. I have found the smart values to successfully have my custom date field and sub task due date fields communicate with each other - however I would like each subtask to be SEQUENTIAL, with different due dates. The only method I've found sets all 47 different subtasks to the same due date. So for example, my custom field date is set to 31/08/2021, I would like my last 3 subtask due dates to be 24/08/2021, 17/08/2021, 10/08/2021 - so on for 44 more steps. So the first subtask due date would be 235 weeks before my custom field date (5 biz days x 47 steps) Please let me know if I can provide other information, or if this is  even possible. Ideally I want to create a trigger rule - not use a plug in. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Hi @kfarnen 

There is no built-in loop counter to help you do this.  You might be able to do it using Create Variable, and repeatedly replacing the value with increasing date values:

{{issue.myDateField.plusDays(5)}}

However... I wonder how are you enforcing 47 sub-tasks in a sequential order without *manually adding them*?  If you are cloning or adding them within a rule, there is no guarantee they will be in the order you wish because of asynchronous rule processing.

Let's suppose you have some numeric indicator in the sub-task (e.g. in summary or another field).  You could use that as a multiplier of the 5 day increment, greatly simplifing the rule.

Best regards,

Bill

kfarnen December 7, 2020

Thank you so much, Bill. Yes, they were manually added in a sequential order but will now auto create from a rule. I've tested this multiple times and they've successfully stayed in sequential order. I was ultimately able to get this done by increasing date values within my rule, just as you suggested. The automation template library Atlassian shared a few days after my post has been really helpful as well. Cheers. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events