Multiple projects running sprints issue

corey June 14, 2021

I don't know if an update occurred recently, but my sprints across multiple projects now all share the same title, description, and dates. When I went to close a sprint, it ended up closing another project sprint as well, causing much confusion. How do I fix this so that the sprints are no longer synced, as they used to be?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Hello @corey 

Be advised that Jira does not require you to name each sprint uniquely. You could have multiple sprints named "Sprint 1".

If a user is updating the Sprint field directly on an issue, Jira also does not limit the sprints listed in that issue. So issue ABC-123 on Board ABC can end up assigned to Sprint 1 created in Board DEF.

And a Sprint will show in a board if it contains any issue that matches the board's filter. So, when issue ABC-123 got assigned to Sprint 1 (which was actually created in Board DEF) then Sprint 1 starts showing up in Board ABC.

I doubt that an update of Jira caused this apparent synchronization. I suspect it was instead caused by human error, as I described above.

To avoid such confusion your sprints should be named in such a way that they clearly identify the Board in which they were created.

To "un-synchronize" sprints across projects, you will need to create new sprints in the boards (make sure to give them clearly identifying names) and move the issues into the new sprints. When the issues are all moved out of the seemingly synchronized sprints, the the sprint will appear only on the board where it was originally created, and you can delete it from there.

corey June 14, 2021

Hi Trudy, that is how I had it. They were labeled uniquely and the two sprints were staggard as to avoid too many meetings for me and my teams. However, when I went to close a sprint, the other sprint closed as well. I was able to find a setting in the product that allows for asynchronous sprints. I don't know if this is a new feature, or if it was on then turned off. Either way, I clicked it, and we'll see if that helps. If anyone else has a suggestion of what happened, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again, Trudy. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Hi Corey,

Where did you find that setting?

Are you working with Team Managed or Company Managed projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events