Multiple projects and sprints

aperezgt May 25, 2022

Hello, 

I have a question about working with Jira. We have a team of 6 developers who are each working on X project. We have multiple development projects. For example we have 2 devs working on project A and 2 devs working on project B who are each working on their project sprints and the sprints last for 2 weeks, during these 2 weeks could happend issues in project C and we have to create issues in that proyect. What is the method to work? We'd have to create an issues to proyect C with their sprints and the developers have to stop their sprint to fix it. My question is if we can work with parallel sprints or there are other methods to work?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2022

Hi @aperezgt 

Adding to the ideas from @G subramanyam you may want to ponder some questions first, such as:

What do you mean by "project"?  Do you mean Project, like a defined goal/scope/plan/timeframe of work, or just a way to indicate a "feature"?

Why are the people on the team working on multiple "projects" at one time?  How might it help if they focused on one at time to complete it, then moved to the next?

You note people stopping work to switch to "fix" something for another project.  Are features going out to production as work proceeds (i.e. "production defects"), or are these fixes to unreleased work, which others are testing?

Those questions, and others, may help you and the team decide how to work better, and then how to use Jira to support that.  For example, with one Jira project (and one Scrum or Kanban board), with multiple Jira projects (and another project with a roll-up board spanning the others), etc.

Again agreeing with @G subramanyam to consider discussing this with your Jira Admin and company coaching staff for ideas.

Kind regards,
Bill

aperezgt May 26, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy , thanks for your reply.

We don't have testers, development pass through "on review" step but sometimes some bugs could appear and when I say that the developers stopping work to switch to "fix" something I mean that they are working on X project and sometimes X bug in other different project like other web application could appear and they have to fix it.

I mean a project like for example a web application or a mobile application, a project like a big development so for example we have 2 developers working on project A and they are developers of project B as well, but project B is already finished and in production. For whatever reason a hotfix appears in project B and one of the 2 developers who are working on project A has to fix it. What is the method you would use?

Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2022

As you are trying to do work spanning multiple Jira projects, with a single team, which has support responsibilities, and applying some ideas from Jira's features for Scrum teams...I suggest talking to your Jira Admins about setting up a separate Jira project to pull data from the different projects (with a filter) and then use one sprint in that project.  Remember to reserve capacity each sprint for the possibility of unplanned support work.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Hi @aperezgt welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please be informed their will be many approaches to address your query and also depend on multiple internal factors.

My response is one scenario: When a project is running in the organization, they would definitely have a Jira Scrum board. In your case, 3 projects will have their 3 project boards. You need to identify who are the dedicated developers for each project and in project you would like to track- their efforts.

Project A developer can work on project B or C or D etc based in the need of the hour decided by management. In such scenario's, project A developer should have a Jira task created in project A board to track his/ her efforts. Same goes with other developers who give adhoc support to other projects.

If you say, the developer is stopping his work in order to support other project, then I would say, your teams are not following Agile and not running on Scrum framework.

I would say, kindly discuss with your project manager along with in house Jira admin in setting up projects.

aperezgt May 25, 2022

Hello thanks for your reply.

What happend when you have a developer who works in 2 different projects and he's working on sprint of project A but tomorrow a customer report a bug of proyect B. What is the method you'll apply for these case? Do you recommend us to work as Kanban without sprints?

thanks 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events