Multiple Jira cloud sites under the same organization and licensing

matt.dubois@telestream.net March 24, 2021

We have multiple Jira sites (5) in the same Organization.  How does licensing work in the following scenario.

User A needs access to all five sites.  Will user A need a separate license for each site, or will user A only require one license to access all five sites?   The sites are broken up by different teams but some users would be part of every team.  This would make like easier than merging all of our sites into one Jira.

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

For standard or premium Cloud systems, each user will need a licence for each system.

However, check out https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/cloud#cloud-enterprise - the enterprise licence is aimed at your situation, with multiple instances and users.

Vicky Blease July 29, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Sorry to geg in on this thread, but I'm hoping you can clarify something -

Does this scenario require an enterprise license? Or can you deploy a multi-site environment using standard/premium plans on each product instance?

We require something like:

-Site 1

--JSM Standard

--JWM Standard

-Site 2

--JSM Premium

--Confluence

-Site 3

--JSM Premium

--JWM Standard

--Confluence

We have a few users that would need access to all 3 sites, but 90% of users will only access 1 site. For this reason it's not in our interests to buy Enterprise licenses (if it's even an option!). PLEASE tell me we can achieve this using non-enterprise licenses?!? :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Nope, do not apologise.   Unusually for posts on older question, your question is totally related and it's a good place to ask (and answer)

You can indeed do this without an Enterprise licence.  In fact, you can't quite do it with the Enterprise licence!

Let's imagine a very simple case where you've got 50 people, 5 of whom act as Service Desk Agents and they all need access to all three sites.  You will need to buy separate subscriptions as below (annual prices nicked straight from Atlassian's pricing pages):

-Site 1

--JSM Standard. $1,000

--JWM Standard. $2,500 

-Site 2

--JSM Premium. $2,000

--Confluence Standard. $2,500

-Site 3

--JSM Premium. $2,000

--JWM Standard. $2,500

--Confluence Standard. $2,500

Total - $15,000 pa.  The important point here is that a person who has access to every site effectively has 7 licences, one for each system.

With an Enterprise licence, the same person would only have one Enterprise licence, which lets them into all 7 systems, because they're all seen as the same system by the licence scheme.  

When I said you can't quite do it with an Enterprise licence, it's because standard offerings are not covered by it.  Your people will end up with functions as :

-Site 1

--JSM Premium

--JWM Premium

-Site 2

--JSM Premium

--Confluence Premium

-Site 3

--JSM Premium

--JWM Premium

--Confluence Premium

All under one block licence.  (Not that JWM has a premium option, but you see what I'm getting at - Enterprise always gives you the highest level of functionality)

Vicky Blease July 29, 2021

Thanks so much for clarifying!

I understand the benefits of the enterprise license but cost wise I think it's actually better for us to *not* go down that path.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2021

Yes, it's only for larger organisations with wide estates (it actually has lower limits - it starts at 50 service desk agents for example, not 3!)

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2021

Hi matt.dubois@telestream.net , 

in the case you describe, the user A will have to pay for a license on each site : thre is currently no way to "aggregate" a user licensing accross sites, even if they are all part of the same organization.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Adrien Hadley August 23, 2023

I understand the above for having different plans for different instances.  If I want to have one control for SSO/MFA, then I also need to add Atlassian Access right?  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events