Multi level cascade field

Deleted user November 17, 2020

Hi all!

Cascade custom field in Jira can provide only Parent-Child related dropdown list.

How can I make a Grandparent-Parent-Child dropdowns, like:

Region:
City:

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Hi Timur,

We use ProForma Forms add-on to be able to go to multiple level like that. But if you have a lot of values that might be a little tougher. But you should be able to do it. 

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've already send a request for ProForma Lite version, because it is free)). But where can I find manuals or instructions to use it? Will https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/ be enough for understanding how to use it?

Thanks

And could you show some template for this please?

Because I could not create such a multi level cascade in demo https://proformademo.thinktilt.net/

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

I am working on an example for you. But I will need a little time. 
Basically, you create a field, such as Country and add some values to it (dropdown type field).

Then you add a section and make it conditional for the value you put in the country. 

Then add another field of dropdown type with just the regions for that particular country.

Add another section conditional for the region and then a dropdown field under that for the cities in that particular region.

Then you have to repeat that for every combination. It's a bit of work if you have several values in each field. And maybe even undoable if you have dozens of values. 

Like Deleted user likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

This an example of what it could look like:

screenshot.png

In the ProForma setup, it would look like this:

screenshot.png

Deleted user November 19, 2020

Dear John,

Thank you so much for the example you drafted for me, I really appreciate it.

Will try to do this in our Jira cloud.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2020

Hi @[deleted] 

Spot on to John for his approach.  If you need a second pair of eyes on your design, just reach out to us and we can work with you further.  I'm from ProForma and happy to assist as you need.  Just reach out to contact us

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Jira doesn't have anything deeper than the cascading select.

You will need to look to multi-level-cascading select apps.  However, I do not think there are any for Cloud yet.

Exactly. I did not think that this simple functionality is so hard to include it in Jira cloud...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

It's not as easy as it sounds.  The underlying core data structure in Jira does not quite support it and the ability to do that was not seen as important enough by Atlassian.   Hence others have gone and created (server) apps to do it.  There's a couple of requests for it to be built into Cloud, but they're really not seeing a lot of votes or attention.

Mike Hayes May 18, 2021

We have scoured the ends of the earth for a four-level cascade (or even three level) that works in Cloud. We build cars, so Year / Make / Model is an extremely common use case. We will pay handsomely for an app that allows 3+ cascade in Jira Cloud on the CREATE SCREEN.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2021

Give ProForma Forms a try

Mike Hayes May 18, 2021

Thanks. We use ProForma extensively. Unfortunately, ProForma in Cloud doesn't yet support regular (2-level) cascade. There's a way to sort of do it with hide/show, but it's untenable if there are 1,000s of options.

Like # people like this
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events