Moving subtasks to various columns does not move the parent ticket

Arash Taheri September 6, 2022

I have the following issue with my Jira project.  I really appreciate it if someone can help me.

1. I have a parent ticket with 2 subtasks. For example:  one FE subtask and one BE subtask.

2. When I move the subtasks to varoius columns, the parent ticket does not move to those columns.

How can I solve this challenge?  Thanks,

Arash

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

Hello @Arash Taheri 

Welcome to the community.

The Jira application is functioning correctly. Changing the status of a sub-task does not automatically change the status of its parent. 

If you want to automatically change the status of the parent you will need to implement Automation Rules to handle that. And you will have to determine how you want the parent status changed when the sub-tasks under it might be in different statuses.

For more information on Automation, here is the home page for that documentation:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Arash Taheri September 6, 2022

Thank you.  Is there a solution already implemented so I don't need to re-invent the wheel?  I highly appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

If you go to Project Settings > Automation, you will see a screen/tab labeled "Library" to provides a library of pre-built automation rules that you can use as a starting point. You can also find pre-built rules online here:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/rule-list?systemLabelId=all&page=1&pageSize=20&sortKey=name&sortOrder=ASC

That link is at the bottom of the Library page that is displayed within Jira in the Automation screen.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events