Moving issues from One project to another. Target has required fields that Source has not

Kamel Meftah January 13, 2021

Hi there

We are in the process of migrating a NexGen project to Jira classic. In the classic (target) project there are a bunch of required fields. Those fields are not necessarily filled out in source project. When doing the migration via bulk move, Jira asks for the fields to be filled out. We are talking about hundreds of issues. So I changed the Field configuration in the target to deactivate all the required fields. Migration goes smoothly. But after reimplementing the original Custom field configuration on target, I was expecting Jira to ask users to provide missing fields at the next transition. Unfortunately it's not the case. What should be the approach ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Kamel Meftah ,

your users won't probably be able to edit and save these issues without adding all the mandatory fields filled, but they won't be forced to do it during transition.

If you want to forced them to add the values during transition, you can temporary add screen with all the necessary fields to the transition.

The second option I can see it to do some sort of bulk updates of your issues.

Hi @Hana Kučerová ,

Thanks for your reply. The transition solution is not an option. That will imply putting the validator in each possible transition of the different workflows.

Bulk update is ok when you have limited options for the values and very few custom fields impacted. But that's not the case.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

What about to ask your users to help you with this - distribute the work between more users - create some filters for the issues, which are missing values, and ask your users to update all the issues, which are assigned to them...

Like Kamel Meftah likes this

Without any other magic trick, that's what is going to happen. But that was last resort. Thanks Hana

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2021

Another possibility - you should be able to update your issues using csv import, see here. But I don't know if preparation and test of such file won't take more time then do it manually.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events