Move subtasks from one project parent to another project parent

Damian Teixeira March 26, 2023

I have a routine need to move a subtask from project X to project Y.  Based on what I've been able to determine the only way to do so is a multistep process.

1.Convert subtask to issue

2. Move issue from project X to project Y

3. Make issue a subtask of the new parent

• Is there an alternative that would allow this to be done in single step?
  • Is there API REST calls that can make this easier? 
  • Can those API calls become embedded into the UI?  Essentially, the only input required is the input of the new issue parent. 

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

If you have to use sub-tasks for this, then there is no easier way. The question is whether you have to?

For example, you could use issues (instead of sub-tasks) and epics (as their parents). Or, with Advanced Roadmaps you can even build hierarchies with multiple levels. Either way, you can change the problem from "move sub-tasks between projects" to "move issues between projects" which requires much fewer clicks.

Damian Teixeira March 27, 2023

Thanks for you suggestion.  I agree with your suggestion of starting it at the issue level and then at least it can be moved between projects.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

A sub-task is a part of its parent issue, it is a fragment, not an issue in its own right.

Your process is over-complicated, all you really need to do is identify what story the sub-task is a part of and use "move" to change the parent issue.   It does not matter if the issue is part of a different project.

Damian Teixeira March 27, 2023

Let me clarify.  The subtask is actually a defect we want to link to a development task for reporting purposes.  The challenge is the tester will not always know which parent task to associate this defect. But the person triaging the issue will, thus the need to move the subtask from one parent to another.  The parent(s) is/are linked tasks to a story that falls under a technology or layer(i.e. API, UI, etc.). I don't feel this is overly complicated but thank you for your response.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events